Scottish Ale yeast for Non-Scottish ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphoppotamuss

Reaction score
Wondering if folks could share their experiences using the Scottish Ale yeasts ( Wyeast 1728/ WLP028 ) In NON Scottish brews? I’ve been reading that 1728 in particular is increasingly being used as a house strain for stouts, pale ales, barleywines and even IPAs!

What kind of attenuation are you seeing at which Mash temp, ferment temp etc.

curious to hear about your results!

I don't have much experience with 1728, but many years ago, Greg Doss tested a lot of Wyeast strains with 19P Light DME wort. I interpreted a picture of his data to include in a presentation, and am pasting a picture of the slide below. I also used this data in BrewCipher, and in my experience, for a given all malt wort, the test's relative attenuation factors between strains hold up fairly well. So if you know what attenuation you're getting with a particular strain and wort, you can estimate the attenuation for a different strain (and same wort) using these factors. You'll probably notice that this sometimes gives a different expectation than you might get from looking at the strains' published attenuation ranges. I have found the test data to be much more useful than the published ranges.

Link to Greg Doss' Study
Link To My Full Presentation
1702133132664.png

I don't have much experience with 1728, but many years ago, Greg Doss tested a lot of Wyeast strains with 19P Light DME wort. I interpreted a picture of his data to include in a presentation, and am pasting a picture of the slide below. I also used this data in BrewCipher, and in my experience, for a given all malt wort, the test's relative attenuation factors between strains hold up fairly well. So if you know what attenuation you're getting with a particular strain and wort, you can estimate the attenuation for a different strain (and same wort) using these factors. You'll probably notice that this sometimes gives a different expectation than you might get from looking at the strains' published attenuation ranges. I have found the test data to be much more useful than the published ranges.

Link to Greg Doss' Study
Link To My Full Presentation
View attachment 836086
Thanks for those presentations VikeMan. So much great info in there!

Latest posts

Back