Schwarzbier Warmish Ferment ???s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkagitNScandi

Drinking and Swinging Flies
Reaction score
Hey guys I just brewed my first Schwarzbier. My first lager really...

I DO NOT have any temperature control other that opening and closing a floor vent, and a towels I cover my carboys with.

The guy at my LHBS (NU HOMEBREW / GENUS Brewing, Check em out on youtube)
hooked me up with some 1968 London ESB Wyeast Smack pack yeast.
They were not too concerned about me fermenting at my normal temp (66-72)

Do any of you have some advice for fermenting this bad girl without cold crashing or lagering. I am sure the lowest i can get my carboy is 60 degrees without wet T-shirts.

My Recipe: Shwartzbier
Author: Genus brewing Co.

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Schwarzbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.087
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

Original Gravity: 1.047 Final Gravity: 1.008 ABV (standard): 5.15%+
IBU (tinseth): 24.88 SRM (morey): 25.62

7 lb Pilsen DME

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.75 lb - Carafa 2
0.25 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L
0.25 lb - Cara Munich

HOPS:
1.3 oz - Northern Brewer Pellet 60 min
0.2 oz - Northern Brewer Pellet 30min
0.5 oz - Northern Brewer Pellet 5 min

YEAST:
1968 London ESB Wyeast Smack Pack

You are welcome to Pirate that recipe. The original is located at https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/486251/shwartzbier

Ferment at the low end of the recommended temp for the yeast you have. Ie 64ish. It’s not a schwarzbier yeast, but fermenting at a lower should help you achieve a clean ferment which is what you want for the style.

Awesome. Yeah we went with that yeast so i would not have to be so anal about temp. It has only been in the carboy since 3pm 12/5/2018 and is currently at 66 degrees.

I guess my question should have been:
- what temperature(s) should i look to achieve with the recipe / yeast on a day to day basis?

I haven't been brewing the last three years and my last brew had a vigorous ferment and went from 70-80 over night and held 80 degrees until I was able to cool it I am worried this one is going to spike 6-10 degrees too.

I would try to hold it at the low end of the temperature range for at least 4-5 days. Keep in mind, fermentation produces heat, so 66F in the closet could easily mean that the fermenting beer is well above 70, which you are already aware of. You want to hold the fermenting beer at 64-66. The temp spike will happen when the yeast really take off, which depends on your pitch rate and the health of your yeast. Usually between day 2 and day 4.

Toward the end of fermentation (probably 7-10 days) you can let the beer temperature rise to the upper end of the yeast’s preferred range 72-74ish.

Latest posts

Back