Saving yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewed

Reaction score
I have a batch of cider that is just about ready to rack into the secondary fermenter. It has a lovely couple of inches of yeast and apple droppings at the bottom. Could I scoop this up in a mason jar and store in the fridge until fall and the next batch of fresh cider?

You can. It would be best to make a intermediate batch or two in between, just to keep the yeast happy and healthy. That's what I do. I'm on the same wlp002 for the last 3 years.

You can. It would be best to make a intermediate batch or two in between, just to keep the yeast happy and healthy. That's what I do. I'm on the same wlp002 for the last 3 years.

Do you wash the yeast or simply use the slurry, perhaps decanting most of the liquor before pitching?

Do you wash the yeast or simply use the slurry, perhaps decanting most of the liquor before pitching?

I'll empty my carboy leaving .5 gallon or less left, just to provide a medium for the yeast. I'll split between 2 or 3 pint mason jars. I'll use one jar per batch. I decant most liquid before I pitch, close the jar, swirl it all up, then pitch it in the next batch. I'll save the other 1 or 2 pints of slurry for other batches. If it is old, I'll decant the old liquid, and top off with juice as a starter, and very loosely close the jar to allow for burping. Then I'll pitch when it clears, or continue to store in the fridge.

Back