Saving yeast and dealing with the zombies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MockY

Reaction score
I have a yeast bank with around 10 different strain that I rotate through. I save yeast via larger than necessary starters, and not from slurries. Basically, I generally brew something with the oldest ones in the bank just to keep them healthy and somewhat fresh, and the bank therefor tells me what I'm brewing next.

Now, as we all know, the longer a strain sits in the fridge, the more cells will die. At times a strain have been 5 months old before I use it. The resulting fermentation in the beer from said starter have been on par and nothing negative has happened (as far as I could tell) and it performed as expected.

However, you will evidently use dead cells as well and a portion of those zombie cells will ultimately end up in the jar I saved from the starter.

Since these cells will hike along in the saved sample, I would think that some are just as many generations old as the sample itself. Or do they get eaten up by their comrades or vanish by themselves after a while.

My question is, what negative effect can this have for the beer you brew as well as future starters?

Well, "dead" yeast is often used as "living" yeast nutrient. Some people even boil bread yeast to kill it and use as a nutrient source. So I would hope that any cells that die/are swept up in your yeast bank would decompose and be fed on by their children. ;)

Back