Saison yeast blend strategy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VictoryAle

Reaction score
I will be brewing a saison this weekend and I would like to get the character of the dupont strain (3724) into the beer without having to deal with the challenges that come with the strain (the need for high heat and a lengthy fermentation.

I think I will use a pack each of 3724, and 3711 (having had quick, and dramatic results with it in the past), but I am trying to decide between two options that make sense to me:

1) Make a starter of 3724, and pitch it with a pack of 3711 (this will be more than enough cells for me)

2)Pitch the starter of 3724, wait 2 or 3 days, then pitch the pack of 3711 so that it can take over where the 3724 left off.

Seems option two might encourage more dupont flavor, but does anyone see any issues arising from the delayed pitch of 3711? Any other insight would be appreciated!

I may have a thread that would interest you
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=542346

personally, Id co-pitch them. 3711 has a great flavor, just not as complex as 3724. But its so lemony and zippy, love it. I have used it to jumpstart fermentation of IPAs to get them very dry. in these instances I wait 48 hrs to pitch it. I can still notice it in the crisp finish, but I like it that way

Just remember to harvest each separately before you co-pitch. If you harvest the blend, it will probably drift toward 3711.

@tagz

yup, thats what happened to my very first blend in that thread. no idea what the proportions of it are now, btu tis still pretty tasty. But yeah, keep them separate for future experiments

Back