Safale-05 packets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottsdale

Reaction score
Brewing up a 5 gal batch of blood orange pale ale next weekend. Was wondering if pitching 1 packet of dry Safale-05 is enough or would 2 packets be best?

Or you could use a gram scale and pitch slightly more than 11g if needed instead of just dumping a whole 2nd packet in...

I’d be interested to hear from people that regularly use US05. I’ve got friends that tend to over pitch 05 and usually end up with fermentation related issues like poor diacetyl pickup or acetaldehyde. They're temp controlled ferments so I’d assume it’s from over pitching.

I use us-05 regularly with my ales, ranging from 1048 to around 1058 with no issues at all. Temps ranging from 64f up to 68F. I do not have any temp control other than the temp in my basement/brewery. In the higher temps I leave my fermentor on on the concrete floor, during colder temps I raise it off the floor

I guess I was asking for those of you that do use US05 a lot and have messed with different pitching rates for specific gravities and/or volumes do you see less success or poorer fermentation’s when “overpitching”. Not just talking about speed or fermentation but also off flavor formation clean up. 2 packs in 5 gallons of a 1.055 beer vs 1?

Hmm. I’m going to do a pale ale too (Sierra Nevada) and it’s 1.052-1.057 with the same yeast. I’m brand new to this so I was wondering if one pack was enough too.

I have used 05 for twenty six years, one packet up to 1.060, sometimes rehydrated sometimes direct pitch. Temperatures ranging from 64 F to 75 F. I'll use two packets for a double IPA, but 99% of the time just one. The yeast is fool-proof! It is almost totally forgiving; you're worrying about nothing. There are many things to worry about when brewing beer. S 05 is not one of them.

Up to around 1.045-1.050, 1 sachet would be enough for 19-23 liters ( final amount ). I used to pitch 1 sachet for beers with gravities in the .60's. I've started pitching 2 sachets for anything between 1.055-1.070, and my experience ( definitely limited - only about 120 batches ) is that I do get a slightly better, more stable product.

However, most people will probably not " taste " or " feel " any difference - at least brewers and the beer drinking crowd around me. For my nose, taste and taste buds, beers turn really solid on the yeast fermentation, ester and phenolic production ( when the case ), diacetyl/lack of, etc. front, when pitching a bit more than the general consensus. But if I were to brew a wheat ale with an OG of up to 1.055-1.060, and use Lallemand Munich Classic ( which I've used many times ), I would probably just use 1 sachet. This is only because it is generally agreed, that underpitching ( among other things ) a hefe yeast, will result in a more proeminent ester production.

Latest posts

Back