Rye Wine Decoction and Partigyle Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden123982

Reaction score
So last weekend, I had planned for a big brew day with ~25lbs of grain, close to 50% rye malt. In order to not worry much about a stuck mash, I planned for a BIAB in my 9 gallon kettle. Worst case, I would use ~1qt/lb for my mash thickness.

First thing to go wrong was as I was filling my kettle, I realized no way was this going to fit... but I was okay with this since I could just get a small side mash going if needed. Then I came to the realization that I hadn't even placed my mesh bag in the kettle
:bravo:

So I dumped the whole mash into my mash tun and topped if off to increase my mash thickness knowing I was in for a rough one once it was time to sparge. My first mash step was a protein rest at 122 and I needed to get up to 152 with no extra infusions. So began my extended brew session which was now going to be a decoction day. Ended up doing a double decoction 122->152->168 and to round the day off, I figured why not get a second batch of beer out of it for my efforts. Recipe below!

Ryewine:
2-row 11#
rye malt 11#
light munich 3#
crystal 60L 1#
crystal 120L 0.5#
Clear candi sugar 1#

columbus 1.5oz 60 mins
saaz 1.5 oz 15 mins

OG: 1.085

Imperial Joystick @ 61, ramping to 66 over first week

Partigyle (roggenbier?):
Second runnings
Wheat DME 3#

EKG 1.5oz 35 mins

OG:1.051
Imperial Stefon @ 66F ramping to 70-72 over 2-4 days

upload_2018-11-16_11-33-36.jpeg

So I have a freshly used 5 gallon whiskey barrel headed my way and as long as this brew continues in the right direction, it will make the first round in the barrel for a short period

View attachment 598091

So I have a freshly used 5 gallon whiskey barrel headed my way and as long as this brew continues in the right direction, it will make the first round in the barrel for a short period
That Rye Wine I going to be viscous. The one I did with 50% rye (also aged in a whiskey barrel) would pour out of the keg with no head at all, then about 3 minutes later the bubbles would finally escape to the surface, producing a thick 1 or 2" head in the glass. It was amazing to watch. I wish I had made a video of it.

I'll be interested to see how this one turns out. I have done a Roggenbier at about 55% rye, but didn't experience that viscosity. It was obviously a lot smaller beer so maybe that has something to do with it.

Did you use any sugar adjuncts?

I'll be interested to see how this one turns out. I have done a Roggenbier at about 55% rye, but didn't experience that viscosity. It was obviously a lot smaller beer so maybe that has something to do with it.

Did you use any sugar adjuncts?
I think so. If I remember correctly I used a couple pounds of Turbinado sugar for a 10 gallon batch.

Transferred this yesterday. FG was 1.017 giving an ABV of 9.6%

It was pretty viscous like you mentioned it would be. I'm thinking 4-7 days of contact time since the barrel is freshly poured and a smaller volume vessel then will keg from there

Transferred this yesterday. FG was 1.017 giving an ABV of 9.6%

It was pretty viscous like you mentioned it would be. I'm thinking 4-7 days of contact time since the barrel is freshly poured and a smaller volume vessel then will keg from there
I would leave it at least 2 weeks, maybe more. Just taste it every few days and take it out when you like the flavor is where you want it.

Okay I left it on longer and did some tasting every 2-3 days. I still ended a little earlier than 2 weeks (maybe 11-12 days) but it was getting some heavy whiskey flavors going. All kegged up and I'll let this one sit in the cold garage as long as I can resist before giving it a taste. I'm guessing I wont be putting this on tap for 6+ months going off the heat that was present when I sampled prior to going in the barrel. Didn't actually taste it at all when I went from barrel to keg though

Now time to think about what's going into the barrel next...?

Latest posts

Back