Rye Wine Decoction and Partigyle Brew Day

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Hayden123982

Reaction score
So last weekend, I had planned for a big brew day with ~25lbs of grain, close to 50% rye malt. In order to not worry much about a stuck mash, I planned for a BIAB in my 9 gallon kettle. Worst case, I would use ~1qt/lb for my mash thickness.

First thing to go wrong was as I was filling my kettle, I realized no way was this going to fit... but I was okay with this since I could just get a small side mash going if needed. Then I came to the realization that I hadn't even placed my mesh bag in the kettle
:bravo:

So I dumped the whole mash into my mash tun and topped if off to increase my mash thickness knowing I was in for a rough one once it was time to sparge. My first mash step was a protein rest at 122 and I needed to get up to 152 with no extra infusions. So began my extended brew session which was now going to be a decoction day. Ended up doing a double decoction 122->152->168 and to round the day off, I figured why not get a second batch of beer out of it for my efforts. Recipe below!

Ryewine:
2-row 11#
rye malt 11#
light munich 3#
crystal 60L 1#
crystal 120L 0.5#
Clear candi sugar 1#

columbus 1.5oz 60 mins
saaz 1.5 oz 15 mins

OG: 1.085

Imperial Joystick @ 61, ramping to 66 over first week

Partigyle (roggenbier?):
Second runnings
Wheat DME 3#

EKG 1.5oz 35 mins

OG:1.051
Imperial Stefon @ 66F ramping to 70-72 over 2-4 days

OP
H

Hayden123982

Reaction score
upload_2018-11-16_11-33-36.jpeg

So I have a freshly used 5 gallon whiskey barrel headed my way and as long as this brew continues in the right direction, it will make the first round in the barrel for a short period

snowtiger1987

Snowtiger
Reaction score
View attachment 598091

So I have a freshly used 5 gallon whiskey barrel headed my way and as long as this brew continues in the right direction, it will make the first round in the barrel for a short period
That Rye Wine I going to be viscous. The one I did with 50% rye (also aged in a whiskey barrel) would pour out of the keg with no head at all, then about 3 minutes later the bubbles would finally escape to the surface, producing a thick 1 or 2" head in the glass. It was amazing to watch. I wish I had made a video of it.

OP
H

Hayden123982

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see how this one turns out. I have done a Roggenbier at about 55% rye, but didn't experience that viscosity. It was obviously a lot smaller beer so maybe that has something to do with it.

Did you use any sugar adjuncts?

snowtiger1987

Snowtiger
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see how this one turns out. I have done a Roggenbier at about 55% rye, but didn't experience that viscosity. It was obviously a lot smaller beer so maybe that has something to do with it.

Did you use any sugar adjuncts?
I think so. If I remember correctly I used a couple pounds of Turbinado sugar for a 10 gallon batch.

OP
H

Hayden123982

Reaction score
Transferred this yesterday. FG was 1.017 giving an ABV of 9.6%

It was pretty viscous like you mentioned it would be. I'm thinking 4-7 days of contact time since the barrel is freshly poured and a smaller volume vessel then will keg from there

snowtiger1987

Snowtiger
Reaction score
Transferred this yesterday. FG was 1.017 giving an ABV of 9.6%

It was pretty viscous like you mentioned it would be. I'm thinking 4-7 days of contact time since the barrel is freshly poured and a smaller volume vessel then will keg from there
I would leave it at least 2 weeks, maybe more. Just taste it every few days and take it out when you like the flavor is where you want it.

OP
H

Hayden123982

Reaction score
Okay I left it on longer and did some tasting every 2-3 days. I still ended a little earlier than 2 weeks (maybe 11-12 days) but it was getting some heavy whiskey flavors going. All kegged up and I'll let this one sit in the cold garage as long as I can resist before giving it a taste. I'm guessing I wont be putting this on tap for 6+ months going off the heat that was present when I sampled prior to going in the barrel. Didn't actually taste it at all when I went from barrel to keg though

Now time to think about what's going into the barrel next...?