American IPA Ry Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Fib

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
1L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21ish in the 60s
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Fruity with a hint of spice (no green pepper)
I picked up a pound of Equniox hops for $16 with shipping and didn't really know what to do with them since some people pick up a green pepper taste from them. I figured I'd throw in some rye to complement any spiciness that came through. Also so I could name it after my daughter if it turned out good.

Grain Bill:
7.5lbs US Pale Malt
1.5lbs Munich 10L
1.5 Rye Malt
1lb Caramel 60L
0.5lbs Flaked Barley

Hop Schedule: all Equniox at 14.4 AA
0.5oz Equinox FWH
1.0oz Equinox @ 10 min
1.0oz Equinox @ 5 min
1.0oz Equinox @ 1 min
2.0oz Equinox Dry Hopped in keg

This one surprised me. I'm not sure if it was because I didn't know what to expect but it could be my favorite IPA recipe I've ever done. In the future I'm not sure what I'd pair the Equinox with since its strong enough to mask other late editions but it works well as a stand alone.

My luck with Equinox has been mostly green pepper, even if just dry hopping. Never added rye to the mix but I like the idea if you happen to nix the green pepper. From what I've read, getting the green pepper is based on when the crop was harvested and from where. I've yet to figure that out and I still have 8 oz of it left to use.

Back