Hazy IPA brewing:Something happened it's my numbers. Picking your brain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggray87

Reaction score
Ok let's start by beersmith and my numbers. My mash. When drained. I was close to the numbers. 1.058 and about 8g maybe a tad more. Beersmith preboil 1.061 and 7.98g. I was darn happy with that.

While it was coming up to a boil I stirred the wort with my whisk to make sure it was mixed when I took a sample with my easydens. I let it cool downz tested 3 times and all 1.058. Again I was happy. Now during the boil I boil off 1.73g. That's what my beersmith is set up for. 10 min remaining in the boil the recipe called for 1lb dextrose. I had a 1lb bag ready to go. (I didn't actually weigh it, I should have). I forgot to add it. Dummy, I added the hops at the 10 min mark, whirlfloc but forgot the dextrose. I remembered when it was about 3 min left in boil. So I cut it open turned off element and dumped it in and stirred away. Then turned element back on and finished the boil. Then I chilled through whirlpool and CFC. To 165* and added more.hops to whirlpool for 20 min. Anyways. When I got it into the fermenter. I tested the wort which said 1.077. Im so confused, that sound really low. With boiling down my wort and adding the 1lb bag of dextrose. Beersmith says it should be 1.087. I don't expect to knock it on the head but I'd figure 1.084 or so. So what possibly could have happened? All dextrose didn't fully dissolve since I put it in 2 min left in boil? Whirlpool should have helped dissolve it.

I went in to beersmith and I was curious if I deleted the 1lb dextrose to see what the post boil gravity should be. And it said 1.079. So basically I'm below the gravity that beersmith says without dextrose. But yet I put it is. I feel like a big L. Looooooseerrr.

I couldnt sleep last night just trying to figure out what happened. Haha I was thinking and thinking.

All aside it's fermenting like crazy right now

I think it is error on my beersmith profile. I think I figured it out because if I make some changes because I misunderstood what it's asking for calculations. After changes it says post boil is 1.077 if that's the case I hit it right on the nose

But I don't know

Based on 8.1 gallons pre-boil volume and boiling off 1.7 gallons, I come up with something around 1.073; a pound of dextrose would bring it to around 1.080.

Based on 8.1 gallons pre-boil volume and boiling off 1.7 gallons, I come up with something around 1.073; a pound of dextrose would bring it to around 1.080.
My confusion with profile is I'm setting batch size to 5.5 for my ferm. But when I think about it. After boil is 6.25g. So that's my final batch volume. And if I put 6.25g total after boil it actually puts the recipe to 1.077. Now after my loss of trub and putting the wort into my ferm I'm looking. At 5.5g after losing the wort in lines pump cfc. So if I have beersmith calc gravity of 6.25g like I have it's actually perfect. So I must have had my profile off or misunderstood what it's asking me.

Yep. I used 8.1 - 1.7 = 6.4 so I got a slightly lower gravity.
Regardless it smells good bubbling lol. Now I need to figure out if I'm gonna add anything with my dry hop to help keep oxygen out when I keg it. Because I have a duofiller and hoping to get this hazy to stay good

For reference, I add all my sugar at flameout for all my beers and see no reason to do otherwise. You would have been fine just waiting the three minutes and then dumping it in while chilling. One potential impact stopping the boil and stirring the sugar in and then raising to a boil again like you did would have is that if you did add any boil hops, isomerization would continue (whether it increases IBU's significantly is another matter if you're doing a standard 60 minute boil). I'm imagining being a hazy IPA, you probably are getting all your IBU's in the whirlpool, still, it's worth noting. Even if there were some kind of foreign yeast or bacteria in your dextrose (highly doubtful, osmotically it is a very hostile environment to microbes), it would be pretty much instantly dealt with when it hit the 200+°F wort.

Back