Robobrew/Brewzilla Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Sammy86 looks great! I'm a big fan of brewing early in the morning too, especially with a young family. I have the rest of the day to get things done or hang out! Pre-programming the robo to have my water @ strike temp when I wakeup is a huge plus too. I get all the milling and prep done the night before so all I have to worry about when I wake up is getting the coffee on & mashing in!

@Sammy86 looks great! I'm a big fan of brewing early in the morning too, especially with a young family. I have the rest of the day to get things done or hang out! Pre-programming the robo to have my water @ strike temp when I wakeup is a huge plus too. I get all the milling and prep done the night before so all I have to worry about when I wake up is getting the coffee on & mashing in!

I've been early morning brewing since the 5 yo was a baby...he used to sit in his highchair and watch and learn...gave mom a nice break...now i take the 5 yo and put him to work while Mom wrangles the twins for a couple hours until we're done.

My 65L finally got delivered today! Soooo excited to brew with it, but I’m flush with beer and want to get my basement brew room finished first.

My 65L finally got delivered today! Soooo excited to brew with it, but I’m flush with beer and want to get my basement brew room finished first.

If you have some handy friends who are thirsty, I think I see a solution to both your problems.

"Too much beer" is one of those too few "good" problems in life, and one of the even fewer that you can actually drink your way out of.

I’ve changed my tune on the 65L. If I could find a vendor that stocked them here in Canada I seriously think I’d make the switch. Large grain bills, double batches…

I’ve changed my tune on the 65L. If I could find a vendor that stocked them here in Canada I seriously think I’d make the switch. Large grain bills, double batches…

I would have gone 65L except I don't have an accessible 240v outlet, and I liked the idea of being able to set it up anywhere with a standard 120v outlet (letting me brew in kitchen, basement, deck, friend's house, etc). But the larger capacity and faster heating would definitely be nice).

I would have gone 65L except I don't have an accessible 240v outlet, and I liked the idea of being able to set it up anywhere with a standard 120v outlet (letting me brew in kitchen, basement, deck, friend's house, etc). But the larger capacity and faster heating would definitely be nice).

I have the 35L. Last year I was brewing alot, and really couldn't keep up with drinking it fast enough. We were in the lockdown, and didn't have friends over, etc. Now I'm brewing less frequently, and would appreciate the extra capacity. I think about adding 240v to my garage anyways for charging my car. 110v works, but it's just slower. I am loathe to spend the money for a new brew system, but might do it if I find a good deal. I could keep the 35L to use for sparge water. As it is, I heat sparge water in a cooler with a Sous Vide unit that I borrow from the kitchen.

I saw a chart comparing the 35 and 65 with minimums and maximums but can't find it now, anyone know where one is?
I think about adding 240v to my garage anyways for charging my car. 110v works, but it's just slower.
Not to sidetrack but this is a must as far as I am concerned.

So, just finished deep cleaning the Robobrew. What. A. Difference! I always clean my unit pretty thoroughly after each brew, but after several years of brewing it was developing a layer of filth that the quick cleans just weren't able to keep up with.

Full credit to @DuncB for the idea. Here's what I did to achieve a like new robo brew:

- Fill robo to the 5gal line with HOT tap water and mix an appropriate amount of OxiClean/PBW
- Toss in all the bits you want to clean
- Recirculate for 1hr, periodically using the recirc hose to rinse the walls, nooks & crannies
- After 1hr drain the cleaner, remove all the pieces and rinse everything thoroughly
- Fill robo to the 5gal line with cool tap water and mix 1oz of Starsan
- Toss all the bits back in
- Recirculate for 20 mins, periodically using the recirc hose to rinse the walls, nooks & crannies (this acid wash gets rid of that hazy OxiClean film.)
- After 20 mins, remove the sanitizer and give everything a light wipe with a sponge or microfibre towel - any excess gunk should come right off with minimal effort.
- Final rinse & dry with clean microfibre towel
- Pour a homebrew & admire your reflection in your clean & shiny Robobrew! 🍻

After such a thorough cleaning, you may also want to passivate your stainless steel brewery. This final step will preserve the stainless and protect it from any corrosion. You can soak for 20 mins in a high concentration of Starsan (1oz/gal), or use Bar Keepers Friend. Here's a link to a great article on passivating stainless, but I'll include the bit on using BKF below Passivating New Stainless Steel

"Add just enough water to form a thick paste and apply the paste to the item you want to passivate. Let it sit on the metal for 5-10 minutes and then gently rub it off and dry with a towel. Alternately you can rinse with clean water, but you should immediately dry it with a towel so the metal gets quickly exposed to air and not water."

Last edited:
Don't forget to wash the starsan off any plastic components as if left to dry it can cause problems. I'm thinking old duotight connectors etc.
I'm pretty sure you won't have many brewday components that are needing a hot pbw soak and then starsan rinse.
Glad it worked out well for you @CUSTOM-441

I'm pretty sure you won't have many brewday components that are needing a hot pbw soak and then starsan rinse.

I've always found that after a long Oxi soak my glass carboys have a film that a simple starsan rinse could get rid of. Although the dwell time in the cleaner is far less here, I figured I'd apply the same step to be safe.

Good plan with the starsan. I can't remember what the film from the oxiclean is, it's discussed on the make your own pbw thread. I invert my guten for a while after the cleaning just to ensure the pump is all nicely drained and little left in there to fester.

Hey did you guys know, what ever water temperature you use to soak your gear with PBW, you have to use the same temperature water to rinse it off. KegLand has a video describing the use of PBW, and I learnt it there. Something about it not rinsing off fully if you use a different temperature rinse water.

Howdy folks! I took the plunge today! Very excited and a little nervous :) I haven’t ever brewed before. I have a couple books and have been in “analysis paralysis” for a while. I bought the 65L brewzilla with the recommended accessories. I also purchased the Fermzilla 55L w/pressure kit. I have been accumulating other odds and ends over the last few years. I have 6 corny kegs and a two tap kegerator, CO2 etc. I’m sure there are several things I still need. I haven’t picked a chiller yet. Not sure what type off tools, chemicals, measurement devices, and other trimmings I’ll need. Looking forward to getting started. Looking for a list of suggested things to make my first brew a success, and perhaps recipe recommendations. I like most beer, with the exception of sours. I prefer “chewy” beers. Stouts, barley wine etc. I love Narwhal, Old Rasputin, and on the other non-merican side, Sam Smith imperial. I grew some hops the last two years for fun. Sorry for the rambling, obviously excited!

Howdy folks! I took the plunge today! Very excited and a little nervous :) I haven’t ever brewed before. I have a couple books and have been in “analysis paralysis” for a while. I bought the 65L brewzilla with the recommended accessories. I also purchased the Fermzilla 55L w/pressure kit. I have been accumulating other odds and ends over the last few years. I have 6 corny kegs and a two tap kegerator, CO2 etc. I’m sure there are several things I still need. I haven’t picked a chiller yet. Not sure what type off tools, chemicals, measurement devices, and other trimmings I’ll need. Looking forward to getting started. Looking for a list of suggested things to make my first brew a success, and perhaps recipe recommendations. I like most beer, with the exception of sours. I prefer “chewy” beers. Stouts, barley wine etc. I love Narwhal, Old Rasputin, and on the other non-merican side, Sam Smith imperial. I grew some hops the last two years for fun. Sorry for the rambling, obviously excited

First off, welcome! You made a great choice in a Brewzilla, especially the 65L - you'll have lots of room for big grain bills. And from the sounds of it you are kitted out pretty well with gear! This hobby can lead you down a deep dark rabbit hole if you let it, especially when it comes to equipment. Personally I complicate things as much as needed. If I can keep something simple then I generally do.

For your first batch it sounds like you have everything you need already. Make sure you have some way of measuring gravity - most start with a hydrometer. As for a first recipe, make something you'll like and keep it simple! The recipe library on this forum is a fantastic resource. If you have any questions feel free to ask (in the correct place) - someone will have an answer. Cheers!

Howdy folks! I took the plunge today! Very excited and a little nervous :) I haven’t ever brewed before. I have a couple books and have been in “analysis paralysis” for a while. I bought the 65L brewzilla with the recommended accessories. I also purchased the Fermzilla 55L w/pressure kit. I have been accumulating other odds and ends over the last few years. I have 6 corny kegs and a two tap kegerator, CO2 etc. I’m sure there are several things I still need. I haven’t picked a chiller yet. Not sure what type off tools, chemicals, measurement devices, and other trimmings I’ll need. Looking forward to getting started. Looking for a list of suggested things to make my first brew a success, and perhaps recipe recommendations. I like most beer, with the exception of sours. I prefer “chewy” beers. Stouts, barley wine etc. I love Narwhal, Old Rasputin, and on the other non-merican side, Sam Smith imperial. I grew some hops the last two years for fun. Sorry for the rambling, obviously excited!

Welcome to the community from a fellow 65L owner! You'll love it! Makes brewing so easy!

As far your first recipe I would go with something simple! Simple grainbill and hop schedule and get yourself some data to really dial in your numbers!

I was thinking of ordering a clone kit from more beer for my first brew. One question (for now 🤣), should I get the kit pre-milled or jump into getting my own mill? I realize this process can be as simple or complicated as I want it to be hahaha. Also, everyone seems to recommend something simple to start. Would the Cali mountain pale or stout seem like they fit the bill for simple? MAN!!…I can’t wait for the stuff to get here!

When I first started I had the grains delivered already crushed. However, after a couple brews I decided to but my own mill and I’m glad I did. Grains can be stored much longer not crushed so now I order ahead so I can brew when I want and freshly crush the grains on brew day and control the crush. I currently set mine using a credit card (approx 0.38) and it works great giving me 75% efficiency.

I was thinking of ordering a clone kit from more beer for my first brew. One question (for now 🤣), should I get the kit pre-milled or jump into getting my own mill? I realize this process can be as simple or complicated as I want it to be hahaha. Also, everyone seems to recommend something simple to start. Would the Cali mountain pale or stout seem like they fit the bill for simple? MAN!!…I can’t wait for the stuff to get here!
If you are ordering kits, and plan to brew soon, there is no harm in getting the grain pre-milled. It would take a step out of the process that you wouldn't have to worry about. The main advantage of having your own mill is in being able to buy grain in quantity and not use it right away.

Is the wort chiller add on worth it to get started or is better to get something better?

Is the wort chiller add on worth it to get started or is better to get something better?
It depends, because I don't know what you are looking at. When I ordered mine, a SS wort chiller came with the Robobrew as part of the deal. It is a decent submersion chiller, but not the best. SS is less effective at heat transfer than copper. So, it works but is slower. If you have to order it separately, I would get something else. I have modified mine, adding a layer of copper line to the outside of the SS, so it is fairly efficient.

Last edited:
It depends, because I don't know what you are looking at. When I ordered mine, a SS wort chiller came with the Robobrew as part of the deal. It is a decent submersion chiller, but not the best. SS is less effective at heat transfer than copper. So, it works but is slower. If you have to order it separately, I would get something else. I have modified mine, adding a layer of copper line to the outside of the SS, so it is fairly efficient.

I bought a CFC for mine and wouldn't chill any other way...down from boiling to 75° in one pass!

I bought a CFC for mine and wouldn't chill any other way...down from boiling to 75° in one pass!
Haven't tried one of those yet. Sounds good. What I have works well enough. But will have to put that on the wish list.

My mods food for thought.
IMG_20210909_005235.jpgIMG_20210909_111017.jpg

Haven't got a picture of the hop missile in this arrangement or the wortometer.
I either use the hop missile as a hop back before the CFC or after as a wort filter prior to transfer.
I'm awaiting the Smart PID controller.

Running an overnight “mash” in mine tonight. Who says these things are unitaskers!
BCB741FA-D35E-4354-BBC2-E72C668A1406.jpeg
05783B1E-4A89-4D11-9740-61401A228D9A.jpeg

couple of racks of back ribs rubbed and vacuum sealed. Going to run at 152 for 24 hours then finish off on the grill. After taking last pic I put the top plate on to keep the ribs fully submersed and have the pump going to keep the water circulating.

Running an overnight “mash” in mine tonight. Who says these things are unitaskers!
View attachment 747436View attachment 747437
couple of racks of back ribs rubbed and vacuum sealed. Going to run at 152 for 24 hours then finish off on the grill. After taking last pic I put the top plate on to keep the ribs fully submersed and have the pump going to keep the water circulating.
How did they turn out?

Don't try and deep fry your turkey in your electric HLT, safety cut out and fuse don't like the high oil temps. I had to transfer into metal pot and use a gas burner.

Christmas wasn't ruined though.

Back