Grainfather G40 vs. Brewzilla Gen 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grainfather G40 or Brewzilla 35l Gen 4

• Brewzilla 35l Gen 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Many brewers have likely pondered this question, and the answer could significantly vary depending on the user's preferences. Currently, the competition for the top spot in brewing systems is fierce. The Grainfather, with its app and automated brewing process, certainly leads in innovation, boasting high-quality materials and craftsmanship. However, its three-year warranty raises questions, especially when compared to the Brewzilla Gen 4's five-year warranty. My research suggests that the main distinction between the two lies in their software, which is designed to simplify the brewing process. Based on my findings, I'm eager to hear others' views on whether the Grainfather truly justifies its price, which is double that of a Brewzilla Gen 4. Is it superior or akin to purchasing an Apple computer, where you're primarily paying for the brand?

Grainfather G40 Pros:
Quality and Features: The Grainfather is known for its high-quality build and comprehensive features. It includes a digital control box that can be used via an app, an integrated counterflow chiller, and is made from 304-grade stainless steel. Users appreciate the Bluetooth and app integration, which includes its own brewing software designed specifically for the Grainfather, enhancing the brewing experience with convenience and efficiency.

Grainfather G40 Cons:
Price: The primary drawback noted by users is the price point. The Grainfather G40 is nearly twice the price of some competitors, which can be a significant factor for hobbyists who are mindful of their budget.

Brewzilla 35L Gen 4 Pros:
Cost-Effective: The Brewzilla is appreciated for its affordability without significantly compromising on functionality. It's an attractive option for those looking to get good value for money.
Ease of Use and Cleaning: Users have found the Brewzilla to be easy to use and clean. The placement of the controller in the 4.0 version has been moved towards the top, addressing a common complaint and making the system more user-friendly.
Performance: Despite its lower price, the Brewzilla performs well. It includes a neoprene insulation jacket to maintain mash temperatures and has impressed users with its mash efficiency and quality of components. The system is designed with feedback from customers in mind, including features like camlock fittings for the recirculation pipe.

Brewzilla 35L Gen 4 Cons:
Controller and Software: Some feedback points to the controller and RAPT software being non-intuitive with a bit of a learning curve. However, once users get accustomed to it, they find it quite functional.
Is the Grainfather G40 Worth the Extra Cost?

Hmmm, I’m just wondering if this thread is based on personal curiosity or if there is some other interest at play here?

Hmmm, I’m just wondering if this thread is based on personal curiosity or if there is some other interest at play here?
Personal curiosity: I seriously am stuck. I am an engineer and overanalyze everything. I'm hoping to get people's honest opinions and thoughts because I don't own either and can only do so much research.

Personal curiosity: I seriously am stuck. I am an engineer and overanalyze everything. I'm hoping to get people's honest opinions and thoughts because I don't own either and can only do so much research.
I have the Gen4 35l. It’s been a great unit to work with. I am a Hands-on type of person. Because it’s an all-in-one design, I was drawn to it. When I moved into my current place I did not have room for a three vessel system anymore. I have programmed many controls during my career. I found the controls easy and the software ok once you get around the learning curve. I did not get this for the software. I am very hands-on with brewing. Mechanically this is very easy to use. I added a heat exchanger & a Bluetooth thermometer and controlling the temp for mashing has been a breeze. Cleanup is easy for me. The bottom line is that all grain brewing is an art & I love all aspects of it including cleanup. This system is great if you want a good hands-on experience with the reward of excellent beer.

G40 because that is what I have. Only two brews in but no complaints. Easy to clean. Of my two brews I used a brew bag for one and my efficiency went up. I do like the GF app. It's fairly simple and straightforward. My only issue is setting up the G40 profile, only because I'm not sure of what some the right inputs should be. I am still learning.

I've been with Brewzilla since the 3.1.1 version, and brew on a 65L Gen4 right now. I've been tinkering and experimenting with settings for a year (HED in, HED out, PID on, PID off, Bluetooth thermometer primary, PID water tests, using Kegland settings, using David Heath's settings, etc) and have yet to achieve what I think is acceptable mash temperature stability. I think the flexibility and options within the Gen4 do not lend to a simple and fuss free brewing session, and the instructions do a poor job of explaining it all. I actually wish I had kept the 3.1.1 Brewzilla.

If I could go back a year, I would get the G40.

I just recently bought the Brewzilla Gen 4 and there's one thing that has bothered me greatly and that's the thermo meter inaccuracy. When I got it it was showing 5°c too low around mash temps so my first mash before I realised it, was 5°c too high.

And calibration has been difficult. I've done it with the malt pipe out, and around 10L in the tun, first full of ice for first calibration point at 0°c and second with boiling water. I had a calibrated eternal meter that I stuck next to the probe so calibration should be 100% correct but I just can't get it right.

I've done 3 calibrations and now it's around 0.5-1°c off around mash temps but inaccuracy increases when going away from 66°c either direction.

Now I just need to take into account how inaccurate it is and always use an external meter to check temps in the mash. And there's NO WAY I'm buying the Kegland RAPT Bluetooth probe. I'm not buying more Kegland. I find it rediculous that this probe or the system isn't more accurate when you can get an accurate thermo meter for $10 at aliexpress.

This bothers me more than it should. I know. 😬
Mash temps are important so Kegland should do better.

Well I think the whole system is badly programmed and designed. Can't recommend it.

Last edited:
Back