Robobrew/Brewzilla Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DuncB

Reaction score
Very convenient having that elbow there. I'm going to put the three way a bit higher up anyway so that the lateral out will go into the top of the coolzilla and then the bottom outflow will be at the height of the whirlpool entry. Not sure it will really make that much difference to the flow dynamics.

CUSTOM-441

Robobrew v3.1 35L
Reaction score
I think I'm going to take the plunge next brew day and try to use the pump to circulate the wort through the chiller inside an ice bath.

Sanitizing the inside of the wort chiller concerns me, but the amount of waste water from my brewday yesterday was borderline unconscionable.

I don't use the stainless chiller that came with the Brewzilla anyway. So I may try running the wort through it.
I've only recirculated wort through the chiller once. It was during a snowstorm. I filled a bucket up with snow & ice, and put the chiller in that while I recirculated wort through it. The snow was melting just as fast as I was shovelling it on. Felt like a stoker on a steam locomotive. Was a bit of a PITA, but it chilled VERY quickly, and zero water wastage.

Sanitizing wasn't a problem. Just start a syphon of Star-san through the chiller and stop the flow once it's running through. Let it sit like that for a couple minutes then drain.

DuncB

Reaction score
Well I've added the valves, didn't take the pipe off just tackled the cut with a used junior hacksaw and managed the cut with a few breaks and rehydration stops. That stainless steel tube is tough stuff, all fitted nicely. I've cut the tubing on the three way so that I have connection options for coolzilla, hop missile or direct to valve for whirlpool on it's own.
Haven't done a leak test will do that tonight but is all very solid.
Need to plan a brew.
IMG_20210908_221741.jpgIMG_20210908_235639.jpgIMG_20210909_005212.jpgIMG_20210909_111017.jpg

I use the Guten on the floor not at this height!

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@DuncB - Nice work. I'm going to get more used to brewzilla before making any modifications, butI definitely like these ideas.

-Also, I've never seen or heard of the coolzilla. Is it a counterflow chiller?

DuncB

Reaction score
@DuncB - Nice work. I'm going to get more used to brewzilla before making any modifications, butI definitely like these ideas.

-Also, I've never seen or heard of the coolzilla. Is it a counterflow chiller?
It's a kegland counter flow chiller, works well, would have been so much more user friendly if the water in and out were positioned at different angles, because they jut out in the same plane as the tube but at 90 degrees to it this means the connector is resting on the surface and you have to lift the coolzilla up to to attach your hose. Minor grumble but vertical or 45 degrees would have been better, although if I just fit a quick disconnect for hosepipe to it would be less hassle.
I previously have been running the coolzilla from the recirc pipe and then into the whirlpool via tap. Now hoping to use hop missile as a cold break trap after the coolzilla during transfer. ie start off just whirlpool then add in coolzilla followed by hop missile with hulls in to catch the break. I'm hoping to reduce my kettle loss from about 5 litres to just what's absorbed in any kettle hops.

CavAv8tr

Master of Horse @ Air Cavalry
Reaction score
I collect all the water runoff from my counterflow chiller into buckets and use it to clean the BrewZilla. So I don’t feel like I’m wasting any water.

I’ve not heard anyone run wort through their immersion chiller, usually it’s the cold water that gets run through it. I think it would heat your ice bath up real fast and lose all of its chilling capacity.
I do exactly that. Use the pump the circulate the wort through the chiller in a cooler with ice water. Add more ice as necessary. Ice is cheaper than running my hose here. Beer tastes good. I start circulating wort 15 minutes adding ice to sterilize.

Bill B

Reaction score
I do something similar. With California temps high this time of year, our ground water never cools down. I run a food grade hose from the water spigot to a ice chest, coil the hose, and run it to my coil chiller. The discharged hot water is then captured into 2 five gallon buckets and the remaining water captured in a 55 gallon plastic barrel. I use that water for plant watering. Very little wasted water.

CavAv8tr

Master of Horse @ Air Cavalry
Reaction score
I do something similar. With California temps high this time of year, our ground water never cools down. I run a food grade hose from the water spigot to a ice chest, coil the hose, and run it to my coil chiller. The discharged hot water is then captured into 2 five gallon buckets and the remaining water captured in a 55 gallon plastic barrel. I use that water for plant watering. Very little wasted water.
Nice. I might have to try that.

beernutz

Reaction score
I am considering buying the 35L 120v Brewzilla and was wondering if anyone supplements the heating elements in it with a heat stick? I was thinking the stick could be used to get mash water up to the first temp quicker and possibly to reduce the time to boil. Maybe use it to heat sparge water in a separate pot as well.

I expect I'd have to plug it into an outlet on a different breaker than the Brewzilla.

I have a nice Hotrod heatstick I got from brewhardware.

Last edited:

CUSTOM-441

Robobrew v3.1 35L
Reaction score
I am considering buying the 35L 120v Brewzilla and was wondering if anyone supplements the heating elements in it with a heat stick? I was thinking the stick could be used to get mash water up to the first temp quicker and possibly to reduce the time to boil. Maybe use it to heat sparge water in a separate pot as well.

I expect I'd have to plug it into an outlet on a different breaker than the Brewzilla.

With my 120v system I can usually hit my strike temp inside of 40 minutes, which gives me plenty of time to mill grains and get things set up. My only real complaint is sometimes it's an issue maintaining a rigorous boil, which affects my boil off rate and final #'s. Nothing that can't be accounted for, but still..

Last edited:

Sammy86

Still thirsty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I have a 120V digiboil, for sparge water for my 65L...definitely need a separate circuit!