Roasting Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamjk123

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I am following a recipe for a pumpkin beer I found online and it is requiring roasted malts. I ordered the malts but didn’t even think to ask for them to come unmilled. Am I screwed? Or am I okay baking those bad boys after they have been milled? Thanks in advance!

most people buy their malts pre-roasted? i'd imagine it'd be fine, do it low and slow? i'm curious. what does the recipe call for? what time and temp?

Trying out King Briani’s recipe from here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/samhain-pumpkin-ale.140674/
The reviews in that thread were raving.

Maris Otter Malt

30 minutes at 350f, would just be freshening it up like lightly toast spices before grinding them and using. you'll be fine. at least that's my 2-cents. when i make my crystal malts it takes hours, but i do it low and slow for 12 hours, because i have no way to evenly stir them at high temp. (speaking of which i'd recomend a stir every 5-10 minutes when their baking)

30 minutes at 350f, would just be freshening it up like lightly toast spices before grinding them and using. you'll be fine. at least that's my 2-cents. when i make my crystal malts it takes hours, but i do it low and slow for 12 hours, because i have no way to evenly stir them at high temp. (speaking of which i'd recomend a stir every 5-10 minutes when their baking)

Sweet! I appreciate your help!

Sweet! I appreciate your help!

i'm going to tag @seatazzz on this for a third opinion, so you're not misguided by me....she makes her own crystal in an air fryer, and would have some more input.

but i would add as long as the grain is dry it wouldn't f'up the enzymes too much. water and heat is the bain of esters and amides.....

Last edited:
Thanks @bracconiere, but he was asking about premilled, not pre-roasted. Your new cider must be pretty good (don't flame me, love ya brother).

OP, if you ordered the grain in your recipe, you will NOT need to roast any of it; but if it's unmilled, you still have options. Milling, by definition, is crushing the grain so the hot water can access the endosperm (where all the maltose you need is). You can either find a local homebrew store in your area with a grain mill, that will help you mill your grain (most I know will do this for free, if not it's a nominal charge), or if you don't have that option, your household blender can stand in. You will need to keep it on the lowest setting, don't grind it into flour. Search google for what properly milled grain should look like. If you don't have a blender, a big ziplock bag and a good old-fashioned rolling pin can do the job as well, although it takes quite a while and lots of elbow grease.

If you just ordered the grain today, you may still have time to contact whoever you ordered from to ask for the grain to be milled, as well. Let us know how it goes, we are all eager to help.

Your new cider must be pretty good (don't flame me, love ya brother).

? i think you're the one hitting the sauce tonight! :mug: @seatazzz he's worried about toasting already milled grain at 350f for 30 minutes. another option i'd throw out is for the small amount of "toasted" grain. do it exactly like spices and put it in a pan and toss till fragrant.

Okay, @bracconiere, you got me dammit.

OP, you CAN toast/roast milled grain, you just need to be a bit more careful about it; since it's milled, the endosperm will be more exposed, thus creating more instances of turning your milled grain into basically burnt sugar. Start out as low as your oven will go, and stir frequently until it's toasted to where you need it to be. If you start smelling something like caramel corn, you've gone too far. Start slow and easy.

I'm gonna copy somebody's signature....I've been drinking.

Okay, @bracconiere, you got me dammit.

OP, you CAN toast/roast milled grain, you just need to be a bit more careful about it; since it's milled, the endosperm will be more exposed, thus creating more instances of turning your milled grain into basically burnt sugar. Start out as low as your oven will go, and stir frequently until it's toasted to where you need it to be. If you start smelling something like caramel corn, you've gone too far. Start slow and easy.

I'm gonna copy somebody's signature....I've been drinking.

Perfect, thanks for yalls help!

hmm, i need to brew friday, and haven't decided what to brew myself! but in my case i need an extender, now that i get 95% effec and the malt comes in 10 pound bags, i have to figure out how to get 1.060 with 15lb base malt! tougher then you may think! :D

hmm, i need to brew friday, and haven't decided what to brew myself! but in my case i need an extender, now that i get 95% effec and the malt comes in 10 pound bags, i have to figure out how to get 1.060 with 15lb base malt! tougher then you may think! :D

Haha! Good luck my friend

Back