RIS and APA yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
I have 4 yeasts on hand and I am planning on brewing 2 beers this weekend.
1 Russian Imperial and 1 APA

The yeasts I have are ss-04, ss-05, Nottingham, Windsor.

What should I use for the above brews?

For the RIS I will do a started the day before.

That is what I used the first time I did a very similar recipe and the results were good. I didn't know if the Windsor would work well as it is supposed to pull a few more fruity flavors in.

FWIW, I brewed a 1.097 RIS a few months ago with S-04 (2 packs hydrated) and it got out of hand really quickly... Temperature shot up to mid 70's and it blew out the airlock making a big mess that smelled of old bananas. Ended up stalling at 1.031 too.

I know it can do a good job, but if you're going to use the S-04, make sure you have decent fermentation temperature control.

Brew the APA with s-04, keep it around 62 degrees, rack it into secondary to dryhop a week or so when it's reached FG, then rack the RIS on the cake. No sense making a starter with dry yeasts. Some folks will say the cake is too much, but a RIS that's big, a cake will get you to your FG quickly and cleanly at 62ish degrees. Don't go above 68 with s-04 or the fruitiness comes out ATMO.

Sounds good guys... I am looking forward to this weekend and a couple days of brewing! GOt the house to myself all saturday evening so should be a good time!

Latest posts

Back