RIS Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmatson

Reaction score
I am planning to make my first Russian Imperial Stout and am looking for some advice regarding my recipe.

12# ultralight LME
1# roasted barley
1# chocolate malt
1# crystal 75
1# victory malt

2oz magnum at 60 min

2 packets of nottingham.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Any and all are much appreciated. Cheers

The Victory needs to be mashed, so either just get rid of it, or add enough 2 or 6 row for the partial mash. And I really don't like Nottingham. For dry yeast, I'd go with S-04 or US-05.

The Victory needs to be mashed, so either just get rid of it, or add enough 2 or 6 row for the partial mash. And I really don't like Nottingham. For dry yeast, I'd go with S-04 or US-05.

You can steep Victory for some effect. Its not the same effect as mashing, but it does work.

Haven't tried just steeping victory, but considering that doing a partial mash isn't really any more difficult than steeping the specialty grains, why not add the 2 row?

Mongrel said:

IMO Nottingham is great for a stout. Keep the temps low and it'll give you a great beer. It is my go to stout yeast.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to add a little more complexity and nutty flavor with the victory and I already have a couple extra packets of nottingham, so planned to just use those for this batch. Is there anything else that can be steeped to maybe add a little more body to this beer?

I brewed a Chocolate stout for my second brew. It was a partial mash. I hope yours turns out better than mine! RIS is one of my favorites!!!

I am know thinking about following Mongrel's advice and trying this as a partial mash. This way I can get more out of the victory malt as well as add in some flaked barley. My current recipe is as follows:
12# LME
2# 2 row
1# roasted barley
1# flaked barley
1# victory
1# chocolate
1# crystal 75

Mash at 152 for 1hr

2oz magnum at 60min

2 packets nottingham

I have a water bath for my fermenter, so I can keep my primary at 60-62F to keep it clean

Is 2# of 2 row enough the convert that much grain in a partial mash? Would 1# be sufficient?

Ok, I have altered my recipe quite a bit and am planning to brew this over the weekend as a partial mash

9# munich LME
6# 2row
1# roasted barley
1# chocolate
1# flaked oats
.5# crystal 120
.5# brown sugar

1oz magnum at 60
1oz magnum at 30

2 packs of notty

Mash grains at 154

Any suggestions, particular regarding the grain bill are much appreciated. cheers

Back