Reviving a bland beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I brewed Jamil's pale ale (the one with victory malt and no crystal) to the letter recently. Kegged it and let it sit for 3 weeks to carb. Pulled a few pints here and there and for whatever reason the hop aroma/flavor was none existent. Not sure why but it was a very bland beer. I'm blaming my technique here, not Jamil!

Anyway I dropped a hop sock in the keg with an ounce each of citra and Simcoe. Today, two days later and I have just finished pint number 3. What a fantastic beer this turned into! It really is one of my best, cleanest and tastiest beers to date and I was so disappointed with it originally.

No questions to ask just thought I'd share my thoughts. Cheers!

Hmm, maybe I need to give that a try. Currently have the bee-cave haus pale on tap, subbed amarillo for cascade and I think its pretty bland. Might dry hop with more amarillo and centennial.

I know everyone here hates secondary, but if you rack a pale ale to secondary and dryhop, the leftover hop sludge is pretty good for reviving a boring beer. Fill a growler with boring beer and hop sludge in the morning, let it sit in the fridge all day and see what happens...

Tried this for the first time recently and have to say it has me reconsidering my whole process!

Brewed a golden promise/hallertau blanc smash that I was not a fan of. I found the hallertau blanc to be kinda gross tasting actually and otherwise bland.

4oz of citra fixed that right up. Dropped bagged up and weighted pellets into a cold and fully carbed keg and 24 hrs later I had a completely different beer on my hands.

Couldn't believe how much the flavor had changed ... and the aroma was amazing.

Really makes me think if dry hopping is that effective for flavor, even after only 24 hrs in a cold keg, then maybe whirlpool hopping isn't all its cracked up to be....

Just a thought

I agree with that. Certainly with more potent hops like citra, mosaic, Simcoe, etc. The beer I made wasn't particularly light on the hops but I seem to struggle to get much flavor and aroma with cascade and centennial in the boil. Dry hopping with certain hops really transformed this beer.

This technique would also extend the life of an IPA. When the hop aroma fades after 3-4 weeks just add another ounce of two of hops to bring it back. Presumably if it hadn't been consumed by then!

Back