Reversing flavor affects of heat pasteurized cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSkyGuy

Reaction score
A 6 gal batch of carbonated cider I made turned out great from a local orchard that does not pasteurize.
Using the same yeast, similar apples and environment I made a batch from “another” orchard that uses heat to pasteurize there cider.
It doesn’t taste bad, just less complex and bland. Any advice to add complexity, flavor, body.
I haven’t carbonated the new stuff yet, which may add that complexity I am looking for?

The contribution from wild microbes can't be easily duplicated, but you can try using an estery primary yeast and also some Brettanomyces yeast.

+1 for tannin and/or oak and acid adjustment before packaging. This definitely helps.

You can also find some crab apples, freeze then, press them. The juice will add quite a bit of complexity a bland cider. I do this with store bought juice and the difference is amazing.

Added some Malic acid and in return lowered the PH and it’s tasting a lot brighter and more complex. Does anyone have alternative ways to add Acid?

Is there a company that sells crabapple juice?

Very doubtful. In many (most?) places in USA, crabapples grow in public places all over everywhere. I get mine from my in-laws' front yard. They don't mind at all. Then run them through a kitchen juicer, or just mash them up, bag them and toss them into the fermenter.

Back