Quantcast

Reversing flavor affects of heat pasteurized cider

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

RedSkyGuy

Reaction score
A 6 gal batch of carbonated cider I made turned out great from a local orchard that does not pasteurize.
Using the same yeast, similar apples and environment I made a batch from “another” orchard that uses heat to pasteurize there cider.
It doesn’t taste bad, just less complex and bland. Any advice to add complexity, flavor, body.
I haven’t carbonated the new stuff yet, which may add that complexity I am looking for?

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The contribution from wild microbes can't be easily duplicated, but you can try using an estery primary yeast and also some Brettanomyces yeast.

+1 for tannin and/or oak and acid adjustment before packaging. This definitely helps.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
You can also find some crab apples, freeze then, press them. The juice will add quite a bit of complexity a bland cider. I do this with store bought juice and the difference is amazing.

OP
RedSkyGuy

RedSkyGuy

Reaction score
Added some Malic acid and in return lowered the PH and it’s tasting a lot brighter and more complex. Does anyone have alternative ways to add Acid?

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a company that sells crabapple juice?
Very doubtful. In many (most?) places in USA, crabapples grow in public places all over everywhere. I get mine from my in-laws' front yard. They don't mind at all. Then run them through a kitchen juicer, or just mash them up, bag them and toss them into the fermenter.