Replacing hot extract (hop shot) with actual hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
Here's my problem: I'm thinking of brewing up a Focal Banger clone recipe that calls for 7 ml of hop extract at 60 minutes for the bittering charge. Neither my go-to online brew store (Rite Brew) nor my local homebrew shop carry hop extract, which means I would have to place an additional online order, and pay additional shipping, just for the hop extract. I really prefer to get all my ingredients from one source, and pay one shipping cost, and Rite Brew almost never fails to have the lowest prices for grains/hops (plus, can order grains by the ounce and fairly quick shipping for me).

So, I'm thinking of just replacing the hop extract with some high alpha hop, such as Magnum, Warrior or Nugget to get the same number of IBUs. Any reason why that shouldn't be done? Really, the Focal Banger recipe looks like a slightly juiced up Fresh Squeezed IPA recipe, which I've cloned a few times using Nugget as the bittering hop, so that's what I'm leaning toward.

Shouldn't be a problem. If you are making around a 5 gallon batch, 7ml of hop extract is 70 IBUs. So calculate the equivalent from whatever hops you are using. Magnum's average AA is 15%; Warrior is 16%; and Nugget is 14% (per Brewer's Friend). Then plus them into an IBU calculator (like this one). I get 1.5 oz at 60 minutes for Magnum (actually 77 IBUs), a little over 1.25 oz for Warrior, and 1.5 for Nugget.

I would think if you are trying to replicate the benefits of a hop extract, i.e. bittering charge without too much kettle loss from vegetative matter, you'd be best served by finding a hop with the highest average alpha acids like Warrior.

fwiw, I've done three ten gallon batches of the HT clone using 60 minute Columbus/CTZ bittering charges instead of the pricey hop oil...which I suspect is actually made from Columbus/CTZ hops as at ~17-18% AA would give a good start to the process...

Cheers!

I would think if you are trying to replicate the benefits of a hop extract, i.e. bittering charge without too much kettle loss from vegetative matter, you'd be best served by finding a hop with the highest average alpha acids like Warrior.

If that’s the only (or main) criteria, I’m of the understanding that some of the 2017 crop of Australian hops are way up there. :eek:

02WeFdC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Groovy.

In all honesty, it probably varies between a handful of different varieties. CTZ makes sense as it's another high alpha low cohumulone hop.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is a blend, with CTZ as the dominant influence. Whatever it is, I love the stuff. Incredibly smooth bittering.

Back