Repitching yeast from slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoed

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish red and a little over a week ago, I put it on secondary ferment and saved the "crud" from the bottom of the pail into a mason jar and put it in the fridge. Now, I'm looking to brew this weekend and want to wake up this yeast and get it ready. I think I might know the answers but hope people can help confirm I. O the right path.

In the picture with this post... Is "a" - beer, "b" yeast, and "c"- trub or left over junk. Do I have that right?

If so, I have very little actual yeast don't I?

image-2502313664.jpg

The picture isn't the greatest, but if you harvested everything from the fermenter, there should be a fair amount of yeast in there. Sure, there's some trub mixed in, but there is also a lot of yeast. How many jars did you split the cake into? Generally you can get about 4 batches (5g) worth of yeast from a single cake, to give a rough idea.

You should be fine to let that jar warm to room temp (loosen lid some, place on paper towel) over a few hours on brew day then shake it up and pitch it when your wort is cooled and oxygenated.

You can decant A and pitch B and C. While layer C has some trub, it also as a ton of yeast. You should have roughly 1 billion cells per ml. So calculate the amount of cells you need and use the marks on the side of the ball jar to eyeball your pitch amount.

I collected the two mason jars you see here. I also was contemplating maybe "washing this" and doing a starter just because it seems like "the right thing to do" and I do want to increase my skills instead of "throw this there..."

If that's overkill for this point, just say so and I'll just pitch the appropriate ml of slurry. (Was already on mr malty and it looks like I need 100ml)

I collected the two mason jars you see here. I also was contemplating maybe "washing this" and doing a starter just because it seems like "the right thing to do" and I do want to increase my skills instead of "throw this there..."

If that's overkill for this point, just say so and I'll just pitch the appropriate ml of slurry. (Was already on mr malty and it looks like I need 100ml)

Move the slider to a lot of non yeast on Mr. Malty. Probably need 200ml

And yeah iis just pitch

Latest posts

Back