Repeated infections (need advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried that once and it seemed to go "okay" but a bit of researching online and I recall there being some possible issues doing this versus splitting the grains. And since I work from home I can do it easy enough over two days between work stuff, so no biggie.

I tried that once and it seemed to go "okay" but a bit of researching online and I recall there being some possible issues doing this versus splitting the grains. And since I work from home I can do it easy enough over two days between work stuff, so no biggie.
Efficiency and hop utilisation being the main possible issues, but it's easy to account for those. If you boil aggressively and long, the more concentrated wort might caramelise a bit more than it would when boiling with its gravity after thinning instead, but that's about it!

Scandinavia
I agree, don't use caustic soda, no telling what is trapped in crevices and likes. Not worth the risk.
Eliminates as many things from the cold side, don't bother with the strainer between the kettle and fermenter. Lots of surface area that could harbor something.

Scandinavia? Put everything on the sauna top bench, +180F temps will help kill stuff off but could melt and deform plastics.

Latest posts

Back