Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This scene is what I'll say to the sargent in the local cop squad when I move out...A parady of course...;
marooned for all eternity inside a dead city...buried alive...buried alive...l Noonian syn cougar...

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember walking my paper route on Sunday morning, pulling the red wagon with the big box brimming with rolled newspapers. Afterwards me & my buddies (who also had paper routes) would get together & go for breakfast at the Country Kitchen. I thought it was sooooo cool to be able to go out for breakfast with my buddies & no adults; AND pay with my own money, that I earned all by myself. That was a great feeling for a kid.
Regards, GF.

Yuppers, we were a "full-service" gas station. We cleaned your windshield, checked the oil and radiator [overflow] and checked the tire pressure on all four tires! All for 27.9 cents a gallon!

glenn514:mug:

M first new car was a 64 Mustang ( $2,812.00 ). Then you ordered a car and waited for it to be made, mine took 16 weeks because I wanted it pin striped ( no chrome trim ) and painted with a color that was available only on the Thunderbird ( Dynasty Green ).

Full service Mobil gas ( High test- no such thing as alchohol then except dry-gas- leaded ) was 25cents a gallon. $4.00 for a full 16 gallon tank (always added a 25cent tip for the gas jockey.)

But then again I was only making $1.65 driving a truck for the Railway Express.

BTW - The Mustang was a beast with the big V-8 and all four barrels open you could practically hear the gas getting sucked into the cylinders.:ban:

bosco

bleme said:
They don't use these any more?
What replaced them?
My sons elementary school uses a combination of white dry erase boards and what's call a smartboard. The smartboard is essentially a touchscreen PC the size of a blackboard. Colleges still use the ceiling mounted projector.

gratus fermentatio said:
I remember walking my paper route on Sunday morning, pulling the red wagon with the big box brimming with rolled newspapers. Afterwards me & my buddies (who also had paper routes) would get together & go for breakfast at the Country Kitchen. I thought it was sooooo cool to be able to go out for breakfast with my buddies & no adults; AND pay with my own money, that I earned all by myself. That was a great feeling for a kid.
Regards, GF.

When I was 7, we lived on 2 acres with the city rapidly expanding around us. I had 3 dozen chickens that I fed and watered every day. Every Saturday I would set up a table by the side of the road and sell the extra eggs. After we paid for feed, I got to keep the rest. I would buy a Big Cherry and put the rest in my bank. I try to explain to SWMBO that I've always been a tightwad but she doesn't quite understand.

I remember delivering the Plain Dealer on Sundays. Two bags clear full of rolled papers,one on each shoulder. Damn,those things were heavy.

I remember delivering the Plain Dealer on Sundays. Two bags clear full of rolled papers,one on each shoulder. Damn,those things were heavy.

Sunday papers were a killer.

In the winter, I loaded my route papers on a toboggan and towed it from house to house. I had 2 different routes back then. Made a little dough, but collecting from the customers was a pain.

I used to leave a spit trail in the snow along my route. I learned to chew tobacco at an early age - got some from a farm show spitting contest, and I always had a mouthful back then. It's a wonder it didn't affect me in any way.

Friend of mine recalls delivering papers as a young adult. His favorite part was going door to door and finding lots of ladies wearing not much in the mornings. he said they didn't seem to care if they were partially exposed and he was even propositioned a few times. This was along the married housing section of a college campus...

That's why we used the red wagons & a big box on Sundays. :D
Regards, GF.

I had a route for the local paper. It had both a morning and afternoon edition then, which kept me busy before and after school. The carriers schlepped the papers in canvas bags slung over the shoulder. My parents weren't worried that I was going out to start the route in the dark each morning at 5AM. And yes, the Sunday edition was like hauling a load of phone books--I cheated and used a wagon too.

It was also the carrier's responsibility to make the rounds in the evening and collect weekly subscription payments from each customer. I learned a good lesson early on about how some people could be real dicks. It was amazing how many made up dumb excuses for why they couldn't cough up the few bucks for their newspaper bill.

I just bought a wafer thin solar powered wireless keyboard. Remember when keyboards were about as big as a typewriter and integrated with the computer, like the Apple II?

Remember typewriters?

I just bought a wafer thin solar powered wireless keyboard. Remember when keyboards were about as big as a typewriter and integrated with the computer, like the Apple II?

Remember typewriters?

Remember when keyboards clicked loud like typewriters? When the only color you could buy a computer in was beige? The one button mouse? No such thing as Windows? When cars didn't have computers?

I had a route for the local paper. It had both a morning and afternoon edition then, which kept me busy before and after school. The carriers schlepped the papers in canvas bags slung over the shoulder. My parents weren't worried that I was going out to start the route in the dark each morning at 5AM. And yes, the Sunday edition was like hauling a load of phone books--I cheated and used a wagon too.

It was also the carrier's responsibility to make the rounds in the evening and collect weekly subscription payments from each customer. I learned a good lesson early on about how some people could be real dicks. It was amazing how many made up dumb excuses for why they couldn't cough up the few bucks for their newspaper bill.

My first route was an apartment complex. It was ideal... loads of customers in a small area. But I still needed to have two bags, one over each shoulder. And yes, it was an early lesson in collecting money from broke folk. One thing I remember distinctly is how odd the apartments of some of the foriegn-born customers smelled. Indians love their curry!

Remember typewriters?

I learned to type on a mechanical typewriter that my grandfather gave me. I hit the keys so loud and hard to this day (I've gotten complaints). At least no hammer collisions now.

My first route was an apartment complex. It was ideal... loads of customers in a small area. But I still needed to have two bags, one over each shoulder. And yes, it was an early lesson in collecting money from broke folk. One thing I remember distinctly is how odd the apartments of some of the foriegn-born customers smelled. Indians love their curry!

I learned to type on a mechanical typewriter that my grandfather gave me. I hit the keys so loud and hard to this day (I've gotten complaints). At least no hammer collisions now.

Ohh! stuck keys, inked finger tips from ribbon changes

When cars didn't have computers?

For some reason, this reminded me of my grandad's brand new K-car (he owned a Chrysler dealership). It would say, "the door is ajar...the door is ajar..." ad infinitum every time the door was opened. It was cool the first time, but got old VERY quickly, as you might imagine (or remember, if you were so blessed).

For some reason, this reminded me of my grandad's brand new K-car (he owned a Chrysler dealership). It would say, "the door is ajar...the door is ajar..." ad infinitum every time the door was opened. It was cool the first time, but got old VERY quickly, as you might imagine (or remember, if you were so blessed).

I love the fact that you have to preemptively defend your Gandad's decision to own a K-Car by the fact that he owned a Dealership! :D

Now that we are admitting our poor decisions, I'll chime in and let everyone know when I was young we had a Chevy Chevette.

I love the fact that you have to preemptively defend your Gandad's decision to own a K-Car by the fact that he owned a Dealership! :D

Now that we are admitting our poor decisions, I'll chime in and let everyone know when I was young we had a Chevy Chevette.

LOL, I owned an AMC Gremlin. :eek:
Regards, GF.

Remember when trans-fats used to make everything taste good?

I just had pack of Chips Ahoy for the first time since I was a kid (wanted to introduce my son to the glory of Chips Ahoy and milk), and they were ridiculously bland and unenjoyable. Tried a pack from a different store, same result. He loved them, but of course he's from the no trans-fat era. I remember them being so rich and almost creamy.

I don't live in a bubble, I've notice the difference in texture and flavor with other junk-foods from my childhood, but this one was so overwhelming it was like a slap in the face.

I had a '76 Chevette. it leaked oil so bad, the smoke trail so thick I called the car Spy Hunter (remember when?)

couldn't afford to fix it, eventually the leak gunked up the rest of the engine and I abandoned it behind some bar in N Minneapolis

I used to drive a 78 Corolla. It was so small I could have taken out the front seat, sat in the back, and still worked the pedals. I had to hang a blanket in front of the radiator in the winter, otherwise the car's heater wouldn't work. And I had to put 4 tire chains in the hatchback area otherwise it would slide in the snow.

Also, air conditioning was just rolling the windows down.

I had a '76 Chevette. it leaked oil so bad, the smoke trail so thick I called the car Spy Hunter (remember when?)

couldn't afford to fix it, eventually the leak gunked up the rest of the engine and I abandoned it behind some bar in N Minneapolis

Yep my first car was a gold 1978 chevette that my dad traded a case of beer for. It was leaking about a quart of oil a day. My dad said if I could fix the oil leak it was mine. I drove that bad boy for a good 3 years and finally killed it by trying to see if I could get it up to 90 going down a hill. Broke a valve spring and the engine siezed before I could fix it.

No floorboards - you'd get wet if it had rained
No shift lever - Clamped a vise grip on
Broken tilt steering column - Duck tape and a wedge fixed that.

I still miss that car some times

Yep my first car was a gold 1978 chevette that my dad traded a case of beer for. It was leaking about a quart of oil a day. My dad said if I could fix the oil leak it was mine. I drove that bad boy for a good 3 years and finally killed it by trying to see if I could get it up to 90 going down a hill. Broke a valve spring and the engine siezed before I could fix it.

No floorboards - you'd get wet if it had rained
Broken tilt steering column - Duck tape and a wedge fixed that.

I still miss that car some times

"winter beater"

I tell people the story of my first winter in the Twin Cities. 60° below with the windchill and how we had to wait until spring for it to get warm enough to snow. 20° above and we're outside on the porch drinking beer in shorts and a t-shirt

and everywhere there is public parking, there are electrical outlets to plug in your oil pan heater. the 'Vette had a dipstick heater

"winter beater"

I tell people the story of my first winter in the Twin Cities. 60° below with the windchill and how we had to wait until spring for it to get warm enough to snow. 20° above and we're outside on the porch drinking beer in shorts and a t-shirt

and everywhere there is public parking, there are electrical outlets to plug in your oil pan heater. the 'Vette had a dipstick heater

I remember charcoal placed in pans under the engines (before electric dipsticks and plug heaters);)

Homercidal said:

I drove one for a while.

gratus fermentatio said:
LOL, I owned an AMC Gremlin. :eek:
Regards, GF.

My mom once had a Pacer as a loaner, but she wouldn't let me drive it because it reeked of gasoline. :(

mbauer013 said:
Yep my first car was a gold 1978 chevette that my dad traded a case of beer for.
Broken tilt steering column -

Sounds like mine, except I had a manual transmission.

I had a Sunday paper route that was a mile from my house. Those papers were heavy and I pulled them (uphill) in the red wagon. I did ride the wagon back down the hill. I still have a typewriter and a few times a year find it usefull to fill in forms. My old man drove at least 3 pinto's into the ground. We had a huge Mercury Couger station wagon (w/8 track) and I would lay in the back and sleep on long trips without a booster seat or seatbelt or anything.

Remember airline travel when you could smoke on the plane? How about before the "jetway" was invented & you had to go out onto the tarmack & climb the mobile stairs to board the plane?

I drove one for a while.

My mom once had a Pacer as a loaner, but she wouldn't let me drive it because it reeked of gasoline. :(

Sounds like mine, except I had a manual transmission.

Yeah, mine was manual too. It was a b*tch when shifting into third and the vise grips would pop off. You'd be stuck in neutral, going round a bend in the road with nothing to do but let it come to a stop before searching for the "shift lever"

I may have driven a Pacer too...they didn't become cool until Wayne Campbell debuted the MirthMobile.

Speaking of games lost to political correctness...when was the last time the boys in the school yard went out and played "Smear the Queer"?

Haven't played smear the queer in years! didn't think anyone remembered that one. Now you can't even smoke in the airport,but you can get craft beer. I swear,this world is def becoming a ***** whipped brady bunch version of itself. To much PC coming from t he*****fussy crowd. Shut the hell up & let me smoke with my beer,cuss & fart.

Remember when they actually had music videos on MTV, and not all that "reality" crap they have on it now?

I remember people actually cooking on the Food Network, instead of, all-of-a-sudden.......reality shows......OMG, I swear everybody's just getting greedier and greedier

Back