What to do with failed brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just jumped back into brewing after a long dry spell - several years. I just didn't take to the long brew days with my 3 vessel system.. so decided to go BIAB to perhaps cut the time required, and remodeled my system for that. I have been using a rectangular cooler (big enough for easy 10 gallon batches) that really sucked the heat out of strike water I guess.

The Brewtarget process I had created before for this porter recipe said this:
Add 4.316 gal water at 176.031 F to mash to bring it to 150.000 F. Hold for 60.000 min.
That might be because I'm in the basement (still snowy here) wearing a jacket and knit hat (chilly) and the 13-14 lbs of grain temp was around low 40's F. New to BIAB, I was following BobbyinNJ's lead and used around 8.5 gallons in the kettle - my big mistake on strike temp as it wouldn't cool so quick. (New system.. had too many things on my mind to think it through..) So my mash temp started out at 168 deg. - I quickly threw in ice (didn't have enough) and some freeze blocks to try to bring it down... but it took awhile.

So I think I killed the enzymes. I pitched the yeast after the boil/cool down and initially - 24 hours - got some bubbling going. That was Sunday. Now on Tuesday, I don't really see any activity at all. Never had the big krausen I usually got. I did try some more yeast in case that was the issue (Safale 04) but nothing. Preboil gravity was 1052 and post 1062. (8.5 was too much to begin with.. plus had some issues with my PID not doing a full rolling boil and I'm now using for the first time a Steam Slayer so with the lid on.. hard to monitor the boil. Going to have to go for an Auber EasyBoil I think.).

So I think I know where I went wrong. But question is: what to do with the 6 gallons in the carboy. My wife doesn't like alcohol at all.. can it become a non-alcoholic beer? Is there a process for that? (I normally keg with CO2).

PXL_20230429_003941492.jpg
thanks for reading, Jim

This might be a good case for a diastaticus-positive yeast application as it sounds like it's toast without some help...

Cheers
Or, you can add amylase enzyme (alpha) to the fermenter. Amylase works to turn starch into fermentable sugar at fermentation temps - just a lot slower than at mash temps. But since you are looking at a time scale of days rather than minutes, the slower action isn't really a problem.

Brew on :mug:

Or, you can add amylase enzyme (alpha) to the fermenter. Amylase works to turn starch into fermentable sugar at fermentation temps - just a lot slower than at mash temps. But since you are looking at a time scale of days rather than minutes, the slower action isn't really a problem.

Thanks for that idea. I see Morebeer has some.. problem is that I'm about as far away from most beer supply outlets as can be and still be in the US. (NW Alaska - off the road system). So it would take maybe 5-7 days at best to ship here. Perhaps that wouldn't be a problem.. could just let the beer sit until then?

Even with 7 day shipping time, your beer will only be at day 10. It'll be fine till then. For that amylase enzyme a little goes a long way. Maybe a teaspoon or so should do the trick. Dissolve it in a few oz. of sterilized and cooled water, pour into the fermenter and give it some time to do its magic.

Thanks for that idea. I see Morebeer has some.. problem is that I'm about as far away from most beer supply outlets as can be and still be in the US. (NW Alaska - off the road system). So it would take maybe 5-7 days at best to ship here. Perhaps that wouldn't be a problem.. could just let the beer sit until then?
Folks have left beer in fermenters for weeks without problems. Just keep it closed, and the airlock liquid topped-up, to prevent contamination while you await your shipment.

Beano works too, slightly different enzyme. Just make sure to bring it up to boil temp so it doesn't work forever even in the fridge with either enzyme... Can repitch yeast. You do farm yeast and reuse it right? :)

Am I the only one who doesn't necessarily see a problem that needs fixing here? You mashed very hot. You're getting 50% attenuation. That's about what I would expect. Have you tasted it? If it tastes good, you're done.

Am I the only one who doesn't necessarily see a problem that needs fixing here? You mashed very hot. You're getting 50% attenuation. That's about what I would expect. Have you tasted it? If it tastes good, you're done.
That's a good point, it might be fine. (did OP ever say what kind of beer it is?) But if it's is too sweet, I would probably add a packet of Belle Saison yeast.

Given it's been a week and there have been good responses on how to try and fix it... I'm wondering what @Hunky did? Is it working? If not, then to suggest an possible answer to the original post title: "What to do with a failed brew", I heartily suggest soaking a pork-roast, back-ribs, or even chicken in it for a day before roasting, crockpotting, BBQing or whatever.

Given it's been a week and there have been good responses on how to try and fix it... I'm wondering what @Hunky did? Is it working? If not, then to suggest an possible answer to the original post title: "What to do with a failed brew", I heartily suggest soaking a pork-roast, back-ribs, or even chicken in it for a day before roasting, crockpotting, BBQing or whatever.
Just added some amylase yesterday. So far nothing.. Haven't tested gravity lately. Tastes ok first time I tried several days ago.. will taste again. I suspect I'll just keg and go with it after sitting a few more days.. I'm no connoisseur and probably the only one drinking it. Though the cooking ideas sound pretty good. Was a good shake down for my new brewing system.. next batch will probably be sane.

Just added some amylase yesterday. So far nothing.. Haven't tested gravity lately. Tastes ok first time I tried several days ago.. will taste again. I suspect I'll just keg and go with it after sitting a few more days.. I'm no connoisseur and probably the only one drinking it. Though the cooking ideas sound pretty good. Was a good shake down for my new brewing system.. next batch will probably be sane.
I was told when I mashed high to try beano not amylase

Could give it a try. There is a small bit of bubbling within the carboy at present. I'm happy with any progress.
It will take several days for the amylase to finish its work, since the temp is so low compared to mash temps. Be patient.

Ha! You can pour your beer on snails.. I'm drinking mine.
If my homebrew isn't competition quality, I have no interest in drinking it. A score under 40 goes to the snails. Note my moniker: "Drinking problem: Can make more than I can drink."

That's marvelous for you. Nothing I subscribe to though.
Drinking is no longer a driving force for me. I don't really enjoy drinking unless it is really good. If I was 20, then things might be different. I'm just focused on producing quality. My problem is that since retiring, I have fewer people around to drink what I produce. I could dump three kegs at a party easily and just be happy with their analysis between each having a different yeast, or a different combination of hops, or whatever.

Drinking is no longer a driving force for me. I don't really enjoy drinking unless it is really good. If I was 20, then things might be different. I'm just focused on producing quality. My problem is that since retiring, I have fewer people around to drink what I produce. I could dump three kegs at a party easily and just be happy with their analysis between each having a different yeast, or a different combination of hops, or whatever.
Actually tonight, I have started brewing 13.2 gallons of a "Light American Lager". In 2020, the parent of this recipe was awarded a 'silver' at the State Fair (I was competing against my own 'American Lager' in the category that received the 'gold'). One of the most difficult beers to make is the 'Light American Lager' as there is nothing to hide your flaws behind. I expect this version to be even better than the 2020 version, as the ingredients are better and the mashing temperature steps/times have been refined to produce a drier beer. The hops tonight are 'Czech Saaz' which replaces the combination of 'Czech Saaz', 'Crystal', and 'Lemon Drop' of the previous recipe. I'm not sure I can wait until Aug 1st to see how this turns out.

Do you want me to mail you some? I hear they taste good.
Oh wow- thanks much for the offer. But I have tried snails.. not really my cup of tea. I think it is a learned taste, at least for me. I appreciate your thoughts on beer and drinking - I'm aging out now so - much more than one beer in a day and I'm not feeling so great. I still manage a couple on special occasions. My palate isn't so developed, perhaps.. I like most beer I try, though I'm careful about what I try. On a hot day (not so hot where I live) I can even enjoy an American light beer at a party where I know I'll have more'n one. Or on hunting trips with buddies.. we tend to go thru the light beer because it is so low on alcohol. My brews have gotten compliments from local beer consumers.. my IPAs have even impressed an IPA only drinker who buys several different craft brands. Doubt I would stand up in a competition though..

Back