Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember people actually cooking on the Food Network, instead of, all-of-a-sudden.......reality shows......OMG, I swear everybody's just getting greedier and greedier

Yeah... remember when there was no food network? I remember when I first heard of it. Nobody could believe an entire channel would be dedicated to food. How naive we were.

I remember people actually cooking on the Food Network, instead of, all-of-a-sudden.......reality shows......OMG, I swear everybody's just getting greedier and greedier

I remember when it was essentially The Emeril Channel.

BAM!!!!

Remember when it was cool to hate Brad Pitt and Justin Timberlake? Then Pitt goes ahead and does cool stuff like Se7en, Snatch, and Basterds, and Timberlake does Diq in a Box.

There was a British guy with an umbrella that had a cooking show on PBS before the food network came along. I think his name was graham Kerr. My grandmother hated him and always said he was as queer as a two dollar bill. When his show came on we'd turn the volume up and take the batteries out of the remote

Remember Yan Can Cook?

Magic!

I dislike Tyler Florence. However, I have to say he won some serious points with me when he had Martin Yan on one of his shows. He kept saying over and over "OH MY GOD I HAVE MARTIN YAN ON MY SHOW!"

Thats the kind of respect the man deserves.

Remember when it was cool to hate Brad Pitt and Justin Timberlake? Then Pitt goes ahead and does cool stuff like Se7en, Snatch, and Basterds, and Timberlake does Diq in a Box.

trying my dangdest, but I just can't seem to hate JT.

There was a British guy with an umbrella that had a cooking show on PBS before the food network came along. I think his name was graham Kerr. My grandmother hated him and always said he was as queer as a two dollar bill. When his show came on we'd turn the volume up and take the batteries out of the remote

The Galloping Gourmet. used to watch him with my Nana. unlike your grandmother, mine liked him

she also loved Dark Shadows, we watched that with her too

Yup. Graham Kerr,the galloping gourmet. Then my bigger favorite,Jeff Smith,the frugel gourmet. Julia Childs,& def can't forget the "BAM!" guy Emeril Lugasi. I gotta get his luisiana cookin book again. Lost my recipes for jalepeno jam & essence. I used to make that essence a quart mason jar at a time. I made so many different seasonings & rubs out of that besides different cajun dishes. I also like Man vs food & triple D for getting some new ideas from around the country. And def can't leave out Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations!:ban::cross: We both used to rush home from school to watch Dark Shadows when it came on.

We catch New Scandinavian Cooking on PBS from time to time. The scenery is awesome, but the dishes aren't always. Once, the guy prepared rotten shark meat, and he described its ammonia smell. Mmmmm...yum.

I remember the the guy with the Afro that would paint amazing "happy little trees" and such in about 20 mins. I think he's currently dead

Did you know Bob Ross was a former Airforce drill instructor? Apparently one day after he broke a recruit down to tears he told himself that when his enlistment was over he was never going to yell at another person for the rest of his life.

My wife loves that story.

Melana said:
I own a car without a computer and love it.

I was determined to make my last computer-less car last forever because I thought I could fix anything in it. Every time I replaced a part, I would get the premium option, with the Lifetime Warranty (despite being pretty meaningless). Then I got side-swiped and it bent the frame. I'd never even considered that possibility and repair was quite beyond my abilities :-(

Remember when pencils and pencil sharpeners were worth a damn.

Last year I discovered that the shrink wrapped design pencils my daughter liked are crap. The lead breaks constantly. The shrink wrap gets caught in the razor blade and breaks the sharpener.

This year I bought her traditional Ticonderoga HB #2 yellow and green pencils made of actual, real wood.

I remember when bell bottoms were cool. TVs had 3 channels, 4 if the weather was goofy and you moved the rabbit ears just so.

Also remember party telephone lines. If you picked up the phone and somebody was talking it was your neighbor using the line. You hung up and tried again.

I remember sitting on the front porch summer nights with my family. Waiting for the house to cool down before every body took a bath (showers came 10 years later) and then open windows and fans to cool the the bedrooms My family wasn't poor. Dad was a doctor. This was the norm back then.

I remember fixing a fuel quantity system on a Navy F-4s Phantom at two o' clock am on NAS Cubic Point, Philippines in the early eighties and hearing the space shuttle had exploded on take off.

I'm not really that old but man has technology changed our world rapidly over the last 30-40 years.

I remember fixing a fuel quantity system on a Navy F-4s Phantom at two o' clock am on NAS Cubic Point, Philippines in the early eighties and hearing the space shuttle had exploded on take off.

I'm not really that old but man has technology changed our world rapidly over the last 30-40 years.

I was in grad school, working in a lab that was preparing an experiment that was to go on the next Challenger mission when I heard the news. Needless to say, the experiment was delayed. Eventually went up on Atlantis. I have a mission patch that went along for the ride. :rockin:

pjj2ba said:
I was in grad school, working in a lab that was preparing an experiment that was to go on the next Challenger mission when I heard the news. Needless to say, the experiment was delayed. Eventually went up on Atlantis. I have a mission patch that went along for the ride. :rockin:

If you can say, what was the experiment?

A mission patch that went along for the ride? That would Make a great avatar. Cheers!

If you can say, what was the experiment?

A mission patch that went along for the ride? That would Make a great avatar. Cheers!

Nothing earth shattering. We were looking at the distribution of several plant hormones in germinating corn seedlings. The distribution is important in the regulation of growth - particularly directional growth in response to gravity. We wanted to see how the lack of gravity affected this.

I remember when I could sleep for 10 hrs without having to get up to pee. I remember when I could party all night & get up after 2 hrs of sleep, or even no sleep & go to work all day & not feel like crap. I remember when my back didn't hurt & my knees didn't crunch.

I remember when Count Chocula & Frankenberry were new. I remember getting up early to pour the cream off the milk into my coffee and/or my Cheerios.

I remember how cold it was at 03:00, in January, when I had to start up/warm up the engines so they wouldn't freeze overnight.
Regards, GF.

I remember the milk/dairy on the step in the morning, I miss that.

I remember the first time my cousins got indoor plumbing and didn't have to check for snakes anymore going to the outhouse. It was a big family party at their house to celebrate!

I remember getting my arm caught in a wringer washer while helping my Mom with the laundry. How happy she was getting it turned off and we made sure my arm was OK (it was; just very, very red) and she gave me a whole sarsaparilla soda to myself for being so brave!

I remember getting my arm caught in a wringer washer while helping my Mom with the laundry. How happy she was getting it turned off and we made sure my arm was OK (it was; just very, very red) and she gave me a whole sarsaparilla soda to myself for being so brave!

They were called a Mangler for a good reason. We had one when I was a kid. They squeezed, heated, and ironed everything dry.

Maybe I'm showing how young I am, but I remember waiting up and going to the computer store at midnight to get Windows 95. We installed in on my computer, which had a whopping 486mhz processing speed.

I remember the old ramjets taking off from NASA-Lewis & flying over our house right at the point they created the sonic boom! Man,those old jets were friggin LOUD! I remember when sputnik was launched,& seeing John Glen (one of our senators now) circling the earth in Friendship7. And When Gus Grisom & two others blew up on the pad in Apollo 1. And when JFK was running against Nixon for president.

They were called a Mangler for a good reason. We had one when I was a kid. They squeezed, heated, and ironed everything dry.

I still have a maytag ringer washer in the basement we used it up until a few years ago when my oldest son decided to stick his hand in the wringer. No major injury thankfully. You just cant beat those things for filthy work clothes though. If you leave clothes in there too long they actually turn back into lint.

I remember how cold it was at 03:00, in January, when I had to start up/warm up the engines so they wouldn't freeze overnight.
Regards, GF.

Did that too ... both for the fuel and to keep the battery well enough to turn the engine over in the morning.

I remember some of the freeze plugs getting pushed out on my 1963 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday Coup one very cold night in December one year ... the block did not crack ... had to reinstall a couple of the plugs ... one of those “fair warnings” that fate rarely gives. The car was cherry and it would really have sucked if I’d cracked the block; particularly because in the mid 1980’s when it happened, that 394 cid engine was not very common.

Don’t do that no more ... nay bub. ... From then on I was meticulous about keeping the antifreeze correct in my vehicles.

I remember the first time my cousins got indoor plumbing and didn't have to check for snakes anymore going to the outhouse. It was a big family party at their house to celebrate!

Yep, when I was a kid my family had a neighbor in Michigan's Upper Peninsula that still had no indoor plumbing, no electricity and still used horses to log (he eventually got a tractor). When he passed in the early 1980's his house still had no indoor plumbing. I remember using his outhouse (right next to the sauna).
Really the "olden days".

We installed in on my computer, which had a whopping 486mhz processing speed.

Minor nitpick, but it did not have a 486 MHz processing speed.

It likely had an Intel 486 CPU, with a speed anywhere from 25 MHz to 200 MHz, but "486" was the CPU designation, not the clock speed.

It was the last in the "x86" line (8088, 8086, 286, 386, 486) before Intel changed to the "Pentium" branding.

Yep, when I was a kid my family had a neighbor in Michigan's Upper Peninsula that still had no indoor plumbing, no electricity and still used horses to log (he eventually got a tractor). When he passed in the early 1980's his house still had no indoor plumbing. I remember using his outhouse (right next to the sauna).
Really the "olden days".

Where abouts in the UP? Sauna's are not nearly as abundant as they used to be. I drew up some plans about a decade ago for my ultimate sauna. I still haven't built it. My grandpa had a pieced together sauna with a homemade woodstove that we used every Sunday as a kid. If you have never jumped in a snowbank or dumped ice cold water over yourself after melting in a steaming sauna, you have something to look forward to.

Minor nitpick, but it did not have a 486 MHz processing speed.

It likely had an Intel 486 CPU, with a speed anywhere from 25 MHz to 200 MHz, but "486" was the CPU designation, not the clock speed.

It was the last in the "x86" line (8088, 8086, 286, 386, 486) before Intel changed to the "Pentium" branding.

I think the geeks got it (empasized by Homer's like of the post). A buddy helped me build my first PC. It had a 486 processor. It actually had a LED display on the tower for the clock speed. I'm not sure why...

I had a modem too. Remember this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a motorola KDT800 for many years at work to connect remotely to a host computer. It had a 2 way radio data network. If I was in a dead zone I would have to find a payphone and connect it with an acoustic-coupled modem so that I could update my service calls, order parts or send messages to coworkers. I once left it on top of my car and drove off. When I remembered and backtracked to find it, it was in the road and had been run over a few times. Still worked! We called them 'Bricks' because of their size, weight and how hard they were. These were replaced by RIMs devices which have today evolved into Blackberrys.

Brick.jpg

Back