Regulator (I think) makes noise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
Lately when I hook up the gas whether it's 10 or 30psi something has been making a loud hum/vibration. It sounds like it's coming from the regulator.

Does this happen to anyone else?

All the pressure seems to be fine. No extra loss of CO2. I've been kegging for 5 months or so and this just started happening recently.

I only get something similar, but not loud, now that I switched to my Taprite dual guage primary. I had a KegCo prior but changed over to Taprite for better longevity of the unit. The Taprite only makes a light gurgling kind of a sound when I first pressurize a keg with no CO2 in it or bleed and repressurize. I don't hear it when serving. I posted asking about it and it seems to be quite normal. I too have not had any CO2 loss at all, and all pressure is holding perfectly so I don't care about it anymore.

Rev.

Serving is no issue. It's just if a tank is empty and I give it a boost while cleaning to rinse a line. Last night I hooked it up to a new keg and it made the noise.

I do have a taprite regulator.

Also if I force carb a keg at say 30 psi and then turn the pressure all the way down to bring up to 10psi I hear a release of air. Then I know it's all the way turned down. I wonder if that's not good for the regulator?

Serving is no issue. It's just if a tank is empty and I give it a boost while cleaning to rinse a line. Last night I hooked it up to a new keg and it made the noise.

I do have a taprite regulator.

Also if I force carb a keg at say 30 psi and then turn the pressure all the way down to bring up to 10psi I hear a release of air. Then I know it's all the way turned down. I wonder if that's not good for the regulator?

A regulator is designed to release extra pressure. That release of air is the regulator doing its job.

Okay I wasn't sure if that was good to do or not.

Yes that, as mentioned already, is completely normal. Taprite regulators don't have the manual pull release valve, so dialing all the way down releases the pressure.

Rev.

I called homebrewing.org where I bought it and they said it's normal for both things to happen. I figured the release is normal but wondered mainly about the vibration/noise. That part is new.

Yup, the vibration is normal...........It's the pressure equalizing across the diaphragm gizmo in the regulator.

If ya' don't like the sound of it, set the regulator to zero, hook it up, and dial the pressures up slowly........So slow that you get no vibration.

MMMwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee e ee e eeee ee e eee eee eee eee

Applause.gif

Back