Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbe_nerd

Reaction score
Anyone have special recipes / recommendations for a red ale with a nice hoppiness? Probably looking for an extract based recipe w specialty grains!

Thanks!

:ban: (gratuitous banana...)

I just made one Saturday. Ive made some amber ales in the past that turned out pretty good but Reds are definitely among my favorite beers. I can tell u my recipe however i dont know how it will turn out, so you should take it with a grain of salt...

Ill post it in a minute, and keep my eye on this thread for any other recipes posted, im always looking toimprove upon my recipes!

Briess sparkling amber liquid extract 4lbs
Briess sparkling amber DME 8oz
Briess 2 row brewers malt 2lb
Briess 2 row carmel 20- 1lb
Briess 2 row carmel 60- 8oz
Briess 2 row carmel 80- 4oz
Weyerman Carafoam- 4oz
Weyerman Carared- 1lb

Hop schedule:
Warrior pellets .75oz @60min
Centenial 1oz@ 15 min
Cascade 1 oz @5min

Wyeast american ale 1056

Also:
Irish moss 1 tspn@12 min
1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 7 min

Notes:
Brewing: Got water to 162 degrees, took off heat and steeped grain for 25 min, put back on heat got to a boil, off heat again, started 60 min utes, added warrior hops, added 1/2 LME, put back on heat, @ 20 min remaining took off heat added rest of liquid extract and 1/2 lb of dry extract, stuck to hop schedule and irish moss/ whirlflock schedule after that.

After brewing was complete i cooled wort in an ice bath, took about 45 min to cool to room temp( probably less i went to the store haha) poured to carboys, added rest of water (splashed it to aerate) added yeast. Use only spring water!! You need the minerals in the water for happy healthy yeast!

Fermentation: Let ferment in carboys ( i use two three gallon carboys makes it easier to move about) for 18 days, cold crash for 2 days to clear up, then keg at 25 psi for 3 days, reduce to pouring pressure, you should be good to go!!

Not sure how this will turn outbut i have made something similar anf i think it should be pretty darn good. If anyone reads this and has improvments to my recipe please feel free to comment! Happy Brewing!!

Back