Speculaas for Christmas Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallenhall

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 1.5 oz. jar of King Arthur Speculaas spice that I'd like to try in a Christmas ale, but have no idea about the amount to use or the potential results (though I know the flavor from Christmas cookies). Just asking if anyone has any experience with this mixture in a recipe and can make a few recommendations. Happy Holidays!

I've made spiced beers similar to Mexican Cake, Oaxaca Choca and Christmas beers (Winter Solstice, etc...) that use some of those spices - cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, cocoa nibs, chili peppers.

The best flavor I've gotten was a teaspoon or two @10 min in the boil and a tincture made with the spices and vodka added to the keg or bottling bucket.

The spice flavors fade over time and there tends to be a period of time where the flavor is at its peak.

The combination of spices in that mixture looks as though it would produce a nice flavor in the resulting beer and might be best with some residual sweetness in the beer from caramel style malts.

Back