recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnstr71

Reaction score
I'm gonna do my 3rd batch this wknd. My belgian wit came out aweSOME, btw. Thankyou for all the help.
I found a good all grain pupkin ale recipe on here and wanted to brew for the start of fall.
The recipe said the pumpkin go's in the boil, as it dosnt have much starch and can cause stuck sparge. Which makes sence. All the recipes that call for it in the mash mention cooking in oven 1st. This recipe did not mention that. I'm guessin due to it in boil. I was just looking for some thoughts on this process.
Thanx :)

Many pros don't add any real pumpkin at all to their beers. It doesn't add much as far as flavor and can cause more problems than it's worth. Most of the pumpkin flavor comes from the pie spices brewers use. Just my 2 cents.

I slow roast it for couple hours at 275 degrees with about 2 cups of maple syrup and after about an hour, I begin to drizzle the juices over everything.
When it gets soft and mushy, I know it is done.

You are right, the sparge can get a little tricky at times. I go nice and slow to begin with when draining and set the grain bed correctly

Hmmmmm that sounds interestig apetasia. And easier. I'm only on my 3rd batch so 8m tryin to stick to recipes as much as possible until I learn a bit more about grains/hops/ yeast ect. I think I will try the canned pumpkin in the boil and auto siphon to fermenter and see what happens. Hopefully good things! Lol

Back