Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayVW08

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Looking to brew the below IPA but I'm lost on the timings a bit. Is the recipe suggesting mashing for 60 mins, then add the hops for the recommended time? (Aka mash for 60 mins then add .5 citra for 60 mins, etc). Thanks ahead of time!

IMG_1493.JPG

Yes. Mash 60 min. Bring to a boil. Add your 60 min hop addition and start a timer. Make your next addition at the 30 minute mark and so on.

I’m not sure if this is your first batch or not, so make sure after you do your 60-minute mash collect your wort in a different pot without the grains in them then proceed to boil and once the boil begins add the hops

Hop additions do 3 things for your beer. The early addition hops add bitterness but the boil should drive out the aromatic oils that give the beer flavor and aroma. Most of the bittering is done within 30 minutes so your 60 minute addition is almost the same as the 30 minute addition which means your Amarillo hops are mostly going to bitter your beer.

The additions between 20 and 2 minutes will have some but not all of the aromatic oils boiled away. I'd probably move the 20 minute addition to 10 to preserve more of the flavor. These additions are mostly flavor.

Hops added after the wort has cooled will retain most of their aroma. To maximize this we would usually wait until the fermentation is complete and add the hops as "dry hops" for their wonderful aroma.

Good advice above.

But, without intending to be condescending, if you are asking this question, are you ready to do an all grain recipe? You might be better off to buy an extract kit and start there. If you don't do that, I would do more reading before attempting that recipe.

Good advice above.

But, without intending to be condescending, if you are asking this question, are you ready to do an all grain recipe? You might be better off to buy an extract kit and start there. If you don't do that, I would do more reading before attempting that recipe.

Thanks for the input. It was simply a question of interpreting the layout of the recipe on the website.

Back