Recipe help - NE IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
62 IBU is kinda high end for a NEIPA. To top that off, those calc are all wrong. There is no way that the Galaxy you put in during the boil is going to contribute less IBU than the Galaxy you put in at flameout.

62 IBU is kinda high end for a NEIPA. To top that off, those calc are all wrong. There is no way that the Galaxy you put in during the boil is going to contribute less IBU than the Galaxy you put in at flameout.

I just updated it to remove the boil and flame out and only have a 170 degree and 150 degree whirlpool addition. Its calculating that the 170 degree addition will be 66 IBUs though which seems high.... should I do less at 170?

I like the 170F-180F range to draw the full range of hop flavors but usually only go 15-20 minutes.

Have you tested to see how quickly your temp drops if you don't do anything to maintain it?

I like the 170F-180F range to draw the full range of hop flavors but usually only go 15-20 minutes.

Have you tested to see how quickly your temp drops if you don't do anything to maintain it?

Not exact numbers but if I let it go I would say it would drop down to 160ish in 10-15 mins

I don't think Brewers Friend calculates whirlpool the same way it does boil. If you say that you are putting hops in at 15 minutes of boil, it assumes they are still in there at the 5 minute addition.

With whirlpool, it is calculating like you are going to whirlpool at 170F for 30 minutes, take those hops out, drop it to 150F, then add more hops. If you intend to have those hops in for 15 minutes, drop it to 150F and add more hops for 30 minutes total, you'd have to input it a different way.

Yeah it looks like how they do it is weird. Even if I change the time on the first addition it doesnt change the ibus. Only if you change the utilization will it change but I dont know what utilization id actually get.

I use BeerSmith to estimate mine but it only figures for 180F whirlpools. I think there is a way to change that but I haven't found it yet.

I think the way you have it now will be good though. I had a really tasty NEIPA (Citra & Mosaic) at a brewclub meeting Sunday. I'll find out his hop schedule and see how it compares to yours.

I use BeerSmith to estimate mine but it only figures for 180F whirlpools. I think there is a way to change that but I haven't found it yet.

I think the way you have it now will be good though. I had a really tasty NEIPA (Citra & Mosaic) at a brewclub meeting Sunday. I'll find out his hop schedule and see how it compares to yours.

Awesome, thank you!

Honey malt is also one of my favorite malts. I put it in nearly everything that I don't want to be dry.

I spoke to Alex from the homebrew club last night and it wasn't as helpful as I hoped as that NEIPA he brought Sunday didn't whirlpool at all. He looked at your recipe though and said it is very similar to one he is serving at a beerfest on the 28th, with 5.5oz of whirlpool hops.

Personally, I think you are on the right track and should try it out. I am a little concerned that you won't get enough bitterness as a lot of sources say that requires 175F. Just take lots of measurements and notes so you can report back on the results! :mug:

Last edited:
Just ran into this paper that says some hop oils at volatile above 140F. Might consider waiting for that second whirlpool addition to draw the full range of hop flavors.
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/x.../1957/22805/MalowickiMarkG2005.pdf?sequence=1

Also, Experimental Brewing did an experiment that showed similar results, though I don't think it is necessary to go all the way down to 120F to get the results you want.

And this article mentions that any whirlpool below 160F has really slow extraction so it needs longer than 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Good info thanks! I'll am also a bit worried about the bitterness. Maybe I'll throw in an ounce of mosaic at 5 mins to be safe.

Edit either that or I'll bump the first whirlpool temp to 175

Alright I think I will add the first whirlpool addition at 180 for 15 mins then the next one at 140 for 30 minutes.

Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back