Help Finding “Mountain IPA”

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurds_2408

Reaction score
I’m looking to brew a beer for my buddies 40th birthday party. Currently his go-to beer is Odell’s Mountain Standard IPA. I’m really looking to copy this for him. There currently is no clone recipe. They refer to it as a ‘Mountain IPA”, a cross between West Coast and New England. Seems like these beers also go by the name “West Coast Haze” or “Both Coast IPA”. Struggling to track one down that looks good and my recipe building skills aren’t great. Especially with IPAs. Hopping someone has a recipe I could use that’s in the 40-50 IBUs and can be drinking from keg in 2-3 weeks. Thanks for the help.

Link to the beer in question.
https://www.odellbrewing.com/beer/mountain-standard/

I’d start with a NEIPA recipe, use the hops indicated on their website and triple dry hop. The hops should all be after flame out and dry hops so don’t worry too much about IBUs.

Rather than making something he already can get why not make something in the same style. Out of all the hazy IPA recipes I've ever seen this one has enticed me to make my first hazy. Not a clone recipe of anything specific brewed at Tree House Brewing but some solid guidelines to create your own that were offered by Nate Lanier at Tree House and interpreted on the Apartment Brewer YouTube channel. It's basically his response in the tasting at the end that convinced me to try it:

Ok thanks for the help. I think I’ve decided on something. I’m gonna start with this recipe from The Craft Beer Channel for a mountain ipa and change the hops to what Odells uses. I know it’s not an exact match especially with a lower abv. But I think that will be perfect as this is for a party for one and for two I only have two weeks to get it in the keg so lower abv will hopefully be done faster.
Here is the video for the original.

Here is my recipe. I’m not brewing until the weekend so happy to take any suggestions. Main thing I’m questioning is that they dry hop at 10 days then immediately cold crash it and only dry hop for 2 days at 40 degrees. I’m thinking about spitting the dry hops between a DDH. Do half at 3-4 days and then drop the second half in the keg. Thoughts? Would this be better or would it change the beer to much? Everyone in the video liked the beer and it sounds like what I want to don’t want to go too crazy.

Mountain IPA

4.5% / 11.2 °P
All Grain

Home Equip (2)

78.1% efficiency
Batch Volume: 5.62 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 4.93 gal
Sparge Water: 3 gal @ 170 °F
Total Water: 7.93 gal
Boil Volume: 7.25 gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.037

Vitals​

Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU (Tinseth): 45
BU/GU: 1.00
Color: 2.9 SRM

Mash​

Strike Temp — 160.9 °F
Temperature — 152 °F60 min

Malts (8 lb 9.9 oz)

6 lb 8 oz (75.4%) — Crisp Extra Pale Maris Otter® Malt — Grain — 1.8 °L
11.3 oz (8.2%) — Briess Oats, Flaked — Grain — 1.6 °L
11.3 oz (8.2%) — Simpsons Pale Ale Golden Promise — Grain — 2.4 °L
5.6 oz (4.1%) — Briess Carapils — Grain — 1.5 °L
5.6 oz (4.1%) — Crisp Wheat Malt — Grain — 2.1 °L

Hops (9.37 oz)

0.37 oz (13 IBU) — Magnum 12% — First Wort
0.5 oz (6 IBU) — Cashmere 8.5% — Boil — 10 min
0.5 oz
(9 IBU) — Sabro 14% — Boil — 10 min
1 oz
(4 IBU) — Cashmere 8.5% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand
1 oz
(7 IBU) — Sabro 14% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand
1 oz
(6 IBU) — Strata 12% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand
2 oz
— Strata 12% — Dry Hop — 2 days
1.5 oz
— Cashmere 8.5% — Dry Hop — 2 days
1.5 oz
— Sabro 14% — Dry Hop — 2 days

Hopstand at 170 °F

Yeast​

1 pkg — Lallemand (LalBrew) Verdant IPA 77%

Fermentation​

Primary — 64 °F7 days
Primary — 73 °F3 days
Cold Crash — 40 °F2 days
Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol

Last edited:
Considering I wasn't able to find a single clone recipe last night that had the first clue about which hops Odell actually uses, you're already ahead :oops:
From the OG/FG it'll be more of a "session neipa" but that's fine.

The only suggestion I have is to use malted oats instead of flaked, as flaked oats (and wheat) tend to drop out of suspension over time where I've not had that problem using malted oats (and wheat)...

Cheers!

Considering I wasn't able to find a single clone recipe last night that had the first clue about which hops Odell actually uses, you're already ahead :oops:
From the OG/FG it'll be more of a "session neipa" but that's fine.

The only suggestion I have is to use malted oats instead of flaked, as flaked oats (and wheat) tend to drop out of suspension over time where I've not had that problem using malted oats (and wheat)...

Cheers!
Hey thanks for looking into it. And yeah I figure more of a session would fit the situation better anyway. Then I can adjust it up in the future maybe. Thats good to know about the oats. I don’t think my LHBS has malted oats but I’ll see what I can find.

If they have it, make sure they give it a good crush - you cannot use the same mill gap for oats as barley. In fact I use a separate mill for oats (and wheat and rye) because they're so much smaller than good barley malt, and I try not to mess with the gap on my barley mill...

Cheers!

Well though I'dgive a little update here. First I'll say the beer turned out great and was a hit. Perfect little session NEIPA that was grain to keg in 14 days. I'll hang onto the recipe for future parties. That said it wasn't the beer I was aiming to clone. And now I feel challenged to figure it out just cause it sounds fun to do. Especially as I've just got the equipment to start doin 1 gallon experimental batches.

The brewer at Eddyline did get back to me but not until well after the brew. He gave me some pointers but kept it a little vague. Hop wise seems like I'm ok. But wanted some help with grain. Only tip he gave me on grain was "grain bill is somewhere in between west coast and New England". As my recipe skills are novice and I've never built my own of either since I've only recently got more into IPAs, hoping you guys could help me out. Was thinking something like half 2-row half MO, then some wheat malt for the NE side and maybe a little crystal 20 or maybe Vienna for the west coast. Any guidance is appreciated.

A mystery! :)

fwiw, I enjoy some color in my wcipas, but prefer my neipas to be as light and "glowing" as possible. I use some crystal (40, usually) in my wcipas, but I don't use any crystal in my neipas.

For my wcipas I'll use my go-to Golden Promise blended 50/50 with Briess Brewer's Malt, but for my neipas I use the lightest base malts I keep in stock - 50/50 Weyermann Pilsner and the same Briess Brewer's Malt. Then some malted oats for body, and in half the recipes some malted wheat as well for a touch of "crispness", and in most neipas recipes I add a couple of pounds of carapils for head (I do ten gallon batches for context)...

Cheers!

A mystery! :)

fwiw, I enjoy some color in my wcipas, but prefer my neipas to be as light and "glowing" as possible. I use some crystal (40, usually) in my wcipas, but I don't use any crystal in my neipas.

For my wcipas I'll use my go-to Golden Promise blended 50/50 with Briess Brewer's Malt, but for my neipas I use the lightest base malts I keep in stock - 50/50 Weyermann Pilsner and the same Briess Brewer's Malt. Then some malted oats for body, and in half the recipes some malted wheat as well for a touch of "crispness", and in most neipas recipes I add a couple of pounds of carapils for head (I do ten gallon batches for context)...

Cheers!
Ok thanks. I messed up my info. I just looked at the email again and had forgot, he did say 15-20% wheat and a touch of flaked barley. I guess I'll adjust for that. I have been enjoying Golden Promise lately. So maybe I'll go with GP as the base. Or would you keep a 50/50 blend with something else? Then do the 15-20% wheat malt and finish off with some crystal, maybe 20L, and flaked barley.

Yeast wise he just told me they don't like use juicy or English strains in this. I used Verdant in the last batch but that isn't right. Would you just go with a Chico strain? My yeast knowledge is still just growing so don't know if there is a better neutral IPA strain.

Was that video you linked supposed to be representative of the Mountain Ale recipe? They used Verdant.

I have almost always used wy1318 London III or its equivalent Imperial Juice A38. One time I tried a blend 50/50 US-05 and S04 and it finished a bit drier which was OK but the difference didn't justify splitting the pitch. So I stick with London III...

Cheers!

Was that video you linked supposed to be representative of the Mountain Ale recipe? They used Verdant.

I have almost always used wy1318 London III or its equivalent Imperial Juice A38. One time I tried a blend 50/50 US-05 and S04 and it finished a bit drier which was OK but the difference didn't justify splitting the pitch. So I stick with London III...

Cheers!
Yeah the video was supposed to be a Mountain IPA. I'll have to think about it some more. I've got both wy1318 and another packet of Verdant in my fridge. Maybe just have to be a summer of 1 gallon experimental IPAs. 🤤:drunk:

Somewhat old thread, but just wanted to say this is on my list of brews coming up. I adjusted the grain bill a bit, really just rounded up and added a few ounces in the base malt cause I have a very small amount of Maris Otter I want to get rid of. I am looking forward to trying this as the description of the yeast was interesting. So, with that said, just wanted to add to an older thread that I am going to give this one a shot in another week or two.

Somewhat old thread, but just wanted to say this is on my list of brews coming up. I adjusted the grain bill a bit, really just rounded up and added a few ounces in the base malt cause I have a very small amount of Maris Otter I want to get rid of. I am looking forward to trying this as the description of the yeast was interesting. So, with that said, just wanted to add to an older thread that I am going to give this one a shot in another week or two.
Hope you enjoy it. While the recipe didn't turn out to be the beer I was looking to copy it did turn out to be a very good beer. Everyone at the party enjoyed it. We were drinking it two weeks to the day from when I brewed it. So I think it could only have been better if it had chilled and carbonated over a week like I normally do.

Back