RaspberryPints - Latest HW / SW as of Dec 2017 (PRi 3 B; Raspian Oct 2017)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred S

Two Naked Frogs Brewery, Winery, & Meadery
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with RaspberryPints over the last few days. (RaspberryPi was a Christmas present.) For anyone who has been trying to get RaspberryPints to work over the last few years, you know how much a challenge it can be to get it to work, if at all. This is mainly due to the newer versions of the Raspian OS software, the Apache web server, MySQl, PHP, and a few other items that no longer function together from the RaspberryPints perspective. This all really 'broke' significantly as of Aug 2017 with deprecated libraries. (Don't be too concerned with these details if you have no clue what I am referring to.) And the original RaspberryPints site has (apparently) essentially abandoned the project years ago, leaving it up to hackers.

I have been successful in getting RaspberryPints to work using the latest RaspberryPi (RPi3 B) and Raspian OS (Oct 2017 release). Note that this is the non flow meter version - I'll tackle getting the flow meters to work at a later date hopefully.

If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to share an image of the SD Card as I have not tackled getting the original installer to work. (To be honest, I'm not even sure if I care about the installer now as I have RPints working just fine at the moment.)

My image is from a 16 GB SD Card. In theory, you should be able to download the image, (a 3.8 GB Zip file,) copy onto a 16 GB SD Card, plug the card into your RaspberryPi (RPi3 B), and be up and running. (I have already tested and done this on my own RaspberryPi.)

Before I publish access to the image file, I'd like to have 2 or 3 people first test to make sure that it really does work fine outside of my own sandbox. Please message me if you're seriously interested in giving this a whirl.

(A final note - unfortunately I am not in a position to be able to help much with SD Cards, unzipping, and the usual PC activities. I am making a presumption that you are a bit versed in PCs. That being said, you may still ask me of course, and if I know the answer, or where to direct you, I'll be glad to try to assist.)

I should have a spare SD card laying around to help you beta test, PM me a download link and I'll give it a crack on the weekend and provide feedback to such a noble and worthy cause!

I should have a spare SD card laying around to help you beta test, PM me a download link and I'll give it a crack on the weekend and provide feedback to such a noble and worthy cause!
Still want to test this as is, or would you prefer I take what atariplayer has (with the flow meters) and apply to Stretch and php7 first?

Actually, I was going to post my war story with Stretch and RPi3 back in the original thread, so maybe we can collaborate more on it together?

Actually, I was going to post my war story with Stretch and RPi3 back in the original thread, so maybe we can collaborate more on it together?

Sure - though would love to see something easier for viewers other than an 80 page thread!! Way too easy to discourage new users. I'll PM you with the link to my beta shortly.

Thread length doesn't really matter if one goes to the end and backs up ;)
Otoh, finding a thread matters, and forking makes that harder...

Cheers!

Thread length doesn't really matter if one goes to the end and backs up ;)
Otoh, finding a thread matters, and forking makes that harder...

Cheers!

I hear you, and get the pros and cons. Just that it took me hours to go through this thread, and most of the time was wasted with all of the related topics but not the actual topic of interest, that was never resolved in the first place. I'd like to see some organization around all of the related topics being separate threads, but under the same umbrella. As a software consultant, guess I'm just trying to practice what I preach to my accounts - organization of information. Whinning is allowed here, right? :)

Unfortunately the policies here are not conducive to thread organization, at least wrt authors having any real control over anything once a post is made. That's a big reason why the existing thread has such long legs - all the evolutionary information is in one place because there's no good way to link branches.

And whining is definitely not allowed. If it was you'd hear me every day and nobody wants that ;)

Cheers!

Unfortunately the policies here are not conducive to thread organization, at least wrt authors having any real control over anything once a post is made. That's a big reason why the existing thread has such long legs - all the evolutionary information is in one place because there's no good way to link branches.

Cheers!

I guess it is what it is, and not losing sleep over it. I'll stick to the other thread then going forward.

Bottoms up!

If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to share an image of the SD Card as I have not tackled getting the original installer to work. (To be honest, I'm not even sure if I care about the installer now as I have RPints working just fine at the moment.)

My image is from a 16 GB SD Card. In theory, you should be able to download the image, (a 3.8 GB Zip file,) copy onto a 16 GB SD Card, plug the card into your RaspberryPi (RPi3 B), and be up and running. (I have already tested and done this on my own RaspberryPi.)

(A final note - unfortunately I am not in a position to be able to help much with SD Cards, unzipping, and the usual PC activities. I am making a presumption that you are a bit versed in PCs. That being said, you may still ask me of course, and if I know the answer, or where to direct you, I'll be glad to try to assist.)

Fred S, a timely offer. I was just trying to get Raspberry Pints installed and ran into many of the roadblocks you detailed. I'd offer my services to try and test your build.

My IT manager and I were also running into roadblocks trying to get RaspberryPints (non- flow meter) operational. We have a system ready to go - if you're willing to share your image, we'll give it a try.

My IT manager and I were also running into roadblocks trying to get RaspberryPints (non- flow meter) operational. We have a system ready to go - if you're willing to share your image, we'll give it a try.

PM sent

I have had a Pi and struggled through all the old outdated info out there. I'm looking to run without flow meters, and would be willing to give it a go as well if you are still looking for testers.

I have had a Pi and struggled through all the old outdated info out there. I'm looking to run without flow meters, and would be willing to give it a go as well if you are still looking for testers.

PM sent

Hey Fred I would love an image my old one died and I need to reinstall.

Fred, I just got a raspberry pi 3 for the sole purpose of installing Raspberry Pints, so I would love to try your SD card image, if you've got a second to pm me the link. I'd be more than happy to give any feedback/support you need to make it work better.

Anyone up an running with flow meters on RaspberryPints 2., accessing their GUI from another terminal? what are the refresh rates for pours? or any tips? I'm adding flow meters to my Pi and accessing the page though a different computer not sure if that's a good idea.

I have been experimenting with RaspberryPints over the last few days. (RaspberryPi was a Christmas present.) For anyone who has been trying to get RaspberryPints to work over the last few years, you know how much a challenge it can be to get it to work, if at all. This is mainly due to the newer versions of the Raspian OS software, the Apache web server, MySQl, PHP, and a few other items that no longer function together from the RaspberryPints perspective. This all really 'broke' significantly as of Aug 2017 with deprecated libraries. (Don't be too concerned with these details if you have no clue what I am referring to.) And the original RaspberryPints site has (apparently) essentially abandoned the project years ago, leaving it up to hackers.

I have been successful in getting RaspberryPints to work using the latest RaspberryPi (RPi3 B) and Raspian OS (Oct 2017 release). Note that this is the non flow meter version - I'll tackle getting the flow meters to work at a later date hopefully.

Before I publish access to the image file, I'd like to have 2 or 3 people first test to make sure that it really does work fine outside of my own sandbox. Please message me if you're seriously interested in giving this a whirl.

I have been trying to get Raspberry Pints with flow meters running and followed the instructions line by line working out the mysql has changed to mariadb and installing php with an asterix to download the latest, even running Dos2unix to get ./setup to run in the alamode-setup folder.
after amending the boot config file on a windows machine (which seems to have no effect) and after numerous reboots and using the static IP address in chromium - all I get is the index.php file as a script.
Any chance of getting a download of your SD card - at least I could work out why yours works and mine doesnt

Back