Raspberry Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markag

Reaction score
Hey guys. My dad and I are planning out our second annual Christmas season brew day. He's been home brewing for 2 years, and he got me started on it a year ago with a brew day when I was visiting him between Christmas and New Years last year. We both have been all grain brewing, BIAB style with a rinse sparge process for 1-2.5 gallon batches.

We have been talking about another brew day this upcoming holiday, and we are looking to try something different. He wanted something Belgian, and I thought it would be fun to try a fruit beer of some kind, so we settled on a Belgian raspberry witbier. We are venturing out to create our own recipe. I'm looking to keep it simple, but wanted some thoughts from you guys on if I needed to make any tweaks.

I'm targeting a 2.5 gallon nominal batch size, using a stove top BIAB process with a grain rinse for a sparge.

2lbs 10oz - Pale Malt (2 Row) (50%)
2lbs 3 oz - White Wheat (40.9 %)
7.7 oz - Flaked Oats (9.1%)

0.41 oz Hallertau Hops @ 60 mins

Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast

1.25 lb Fresh Raspberries (add to secondary)

According to Beersmith, I'm looking at the following (Realizing that the sugar from the raspberries may alter my ABV):

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 15.1 IBUs
Est Color: 4.7 SRM

In general, I took some simple Blue Moon clone recipes that I found, and removed any citrus adders (coriander & orange peel), and added the raspberries instead. And scaled down in beer smith to the 2.5 gallon size.

I've never really taken a step out there to piece together a recipe of my own, even though I'm basically starting with a base recipe and modifying it. Any thoughts on going this direction with the recipe?

I don't really want this thing to taste like I'm drinking raspberry juice with some beer splashed in it. I also don't want to go too subtle with it either. I saw a post somewhere recommending a ratio of about 2.5 lbs of raspberries / 5 gallon. That's how I settled on 1.25 lb of raspberries. However, I'm looking for some guidance there on fine tuning that number for what I'm looking for.

15IBUs is where you want to be, I do a raspberry wit that uses 1oz Centennial @10min and it is 15.7IBUs, but you get a good citrus note which pairs well with the raspberries and sour bite of the wit. Hallertau is certainly more traditional.

I go with pilsner malt out of habit, but 2 row is just fine.

I use the Vintners Raspberry Puree 30oz can for my 5 gallon batch. Its sanitized.

My OG is about 1.045 and FG, after puree, usually winds up being 1.010-1.008. I use WLP400, dunno the comparison with the Wyeast counterpart.

I think you should brew it.

wlp400 & Wyeast 3944 seem to be the same from what I've seen.

My dad grows hops, and I think centennial is one of the strains that he grows. I could possibly swap them out and adjust the amount to maintain 15 IBUs.

One thing I'm not certain of is when to add the raspberries. During Mash, during boil, or during secondary?

Most of what I see shows them going in during secondary, but then sanitation / contamination issues seem like they could potentially happen. I did a pumpkin ale recently that called for pumpkin puree at the start of boil.

What's the thought on the right time to add fruit?

wlp400 & Wyeast 3944 seem to be the same from what I've seen.

My dad grows hops, and I think centennial is one of the strains that he grows. I could possibly swap them out and adjust the amount to maintain 15 IBUs.

One thing I'm not certain of is when to add the raspberries. During Mash, during boil, or during secondary?

Most of what I see shows them going in during secondary, but then sanitation / contamination issues seem like they could potentially happen. I did a pumpkin ale recently that called for pumpkin puree at the start of boil.

What's the thought on the right time to add fruit?

I add the puree after 4 days of primary fermentation. I tried it once with fresh raspberries, blended and mixed with a cup of vodka for sanitation and it was fine, but the canned puree is easy and the beer is great. I dont do a secondary fermentation, all primary fermentation.

Back