Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But is there anything in that syrup that yeast can actually digest? šŸ§

Obligatory random - if not drunken - thought: spring winds and raptor migration go hand in hand, so if you're out on a blowy day look up once in awhile. The Spousal Unit and I were out on a ~4 mile walk through our local wildlife refuge this morning and got zoomed by a bald eagle, who then stayed out of camera range while vying with a Great Blue Heron for fishing space.

Cool beans. We don't get that many ABEs here as the locals don't wander and the ones from elsewhere heading north usually fly along the coast ~30 miles east...

Cheers!

We have turkey buzzards/vultures

2 of them fighting over some two-dimensional former critter in the road the other day

Guessin you arn't all that hungry, since you did not fight them off in favor of yer stew pot, for the dead critter, that is.

Well..., got to admit, these are kinda fat times, I would not have bothered either.

I've eaten road kill deer before. It is important to get to them fresh, since with guts in, they go off pretty quickly. Also, trim away the tissue affected by impact, my practice anyway.

But such luxuries are for those with time on their hands in the working day, been a while since there's been time to do that sort of thing around here. But good to remember such skills if/when things fall apart, or even slow down to some degree...

we're in the 'burbs. most of the critters de jour are on the smaller side. this one happened to be buzzard family-sized

DAMN RIGHT! S.O.B. does $1000+ damage to your car, gotta at least get a few steaks out it's hide for it! :mug:
My brother had a deer run into his Pick Up once. It cost a front fender, drivers door and box side. The deer left the scene of the accident. I doubt it got very far and no doubt became a nature's buffett.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

My brother had a deer run into his Pick Up once. It cost a front fender, drivers door and box side. The deer left the scene of the accident. I doubt it got very far and no doubt became a nature's buffett.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

nothing quite like the surprise of a window exploding in on you! just driving along minding your own bussiness, then BOOM!

we're in the 'burbs. most of the critters de jour are on the smaller side. this one happened to be buzzard family-sized

That's cool, got to admit the only road kill I've ever eaten was deer meat. Only a couple of times and a while ago.

Never was that tempted to scrounge a squirrel, rabbit, racoon or skunk. I do have a book that tells how to remove glands to make a skunk edible, and that is pretty much the most common road kill 'round here, but hopefully I will never need to put this knowledge into practice.

Though the boss of the flock is against feeding dead animals to the chickens in principle, if things ever got tight, we could process the grosser protein though the chicken flock. Pigs are good for that too of course.

On a separate note, I got a new fancy guitar tuner, turns out I was pretty much in tune before, but somehow instills confidence. Funny how isht like that works... And if one needs to trim the nails on ones fret hand, it has been too long since you played some tunes.

Over & out I guess, have a good one campers...

I love my Snark

I got a new fancy guitar tuner, turns out I was pretty much in tune before, but somehow instills confidence. Funny how isht like that works... And if one needs to trim the nails on ones fret hand, it has been too long since you played some tunes.

714hFkRuT1L._SL1500_.jpg

if one needs to trim the nails on ones fret hand, it has been too long since you played some tunes.

I'll never forget the first time I pulled out the 5-string banjo after years of neglect. Those Vega Light steel strings made mincemeat outa my left hand fingers.

nothing quite like the surprise of a window exploding
I've only ever hit a sparrow while driving in forty years. My soul was crushed by the experience but so was the bird.
Seriously, I was so bummed. I was driving back from a baseball tournament in Forte Erie (just across from the US and by Niagara Falls) and in slow motion this bird comes out and whacks the fender at 110 kph. I was stunned.
Of course, this is nothing like hitting a giant deer. Reminds me that I've been leery, always, of hitting a deer on my motorcycle.

I've only ever hit a sparrow while driving in forty years. My soul was crushed by the experience but so was the bird.
Seriously, I was so bummed. I was driving back from a baseball tournament in Forte Erie (just across from the US and by Niagara Falls) and in slow motion this bird comes out and whacks the fender at 110 kph. I was stunned.
Of course, this is nothing like hitting a giant deer. Reminds me that I've been leery, always, of hitting a deer on my motorcycle.
Oh Dear Heavens, Deer+Motorcycle, yee gads, I hope you never.

The repair painting bill alone would be ginormous.

Oh Dear Heavens, Deer+Motorcycle, yee gads, I hope you never.
The repair painting bill alone would be ginormous.
Edit (once I understood the post):
Yeah, most of my riding is deer-free but I do go into some of those areas. It's the one thing you can't take into account.

Hazard of deer seems kinda benign compared to hazard of incompetent, impaired, and digitally distracted drivers we're subjected to these days.
That's true on any level, especially when percentages come into play. How many attentive riders fall prey to a deer streaking out into their path? 1/50,000?
Our true enemy/nemesis/frailty is as you say.

@bracconiere back to random, if motorcyclists attached one of these to the front as a bumper? problem solved?
That was funny.
Only if the bike weighed 2K pounds would it be effective.

o, but i've shot a few deer, and am thinking of creative ways to go hunting...i mean do you need a permit if they just 'accidently' jump out on the road in front of you?
brother hunts, respects the rules, etc. Just isn't for me.
I have no problem with someone collecting meat from the road. There's no way that won't happen in one form or another. I suppose I would prefer the meat was killed instantly to avoid suffering. I have no further thought on the subject.

Rash of almost accidents here lately from people being "nice" by stopping, on the main road, to allow someone, on a side road, to turn. Very friendly, very nice, very neighborly. And a good way to get rear ended. Although, with the almost complete endemic lack of turn signal use, the assumption is likely that the stopper is themselves turning, which then precipitates the inevitable whip around by following traffic, regardless of bicycles, dog walkers, or space to pass.

Follow the rules of the road, kids.

And stay off my lawn.

Rash of almost accidents here lately from people being "nice" by stopping, on the main road, to allow someone, on a side road, to turn. Very friendly, very nice, very neighborly. And a good way to get rear ended. Although, with the almost complete endemic lack of turn signal use, the assumption is likely that the stopper is themselves turning, which then precipitates the inevitable whip around by following traffic, regardless of bicycles, dog walkers, or space to pass.

Follow the rules of the road, kids.

And stay off my lawn.

my 2nd worse pet peeve. yes, you're being oh-so-nice to the person you're yielding your own right-of-way to, but you're the biggest a-hole in the world to the people you're holding up.

biggest pet peeve is the a-holes who block people from getting into left or right turn lanes by not pulling up to the intersection, or the car in front of them

I been randomly thinking how some business owners have a funny way of running a business, i wont say names but there is buisness that i tried to do business with years ago no response, then tried again no response , gave up tried again few years later no response, must hate money and or customers, i donā€™t understand how any business could be like that esp small businesses, it blows my mind

Maybe they are already swamped with work & have too few good employees, I know that is my case. I do usually try to respond to inquiries, even if to decline work, but do not always get to it in busy season.
I been randomly thinking how some business owners have a funny way of running a business, i wont say names but there is buisness that i tried to do business with years ago no response, then tried again no response , gave up tried again few years later no response, must hate money and or customers, i donā€™t understand how any business could be like that esp small businesses, it blows my mind

Maybe they are already swamped with work & have too few good employees, I know that is my case. I do usually try to respond to inquiries, even if to decline work, but do not always get to it in busy season.
I get that people get busy, but making attempts a few times over a few years and never getting a response is just ridiculous imo, but whatever, dont wanna hear businesses like that complain that amazon is destroying them cause theyā€™re doing it to themselves

Last edited:
Back