Racked to secondary after 20 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sc0ttyt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forum. So much great info here for a first timer such as myself. I brewed my first batch two nights ago and was disappointed to find my airlock and bung blew off the primary while I was at work the next day. Krausen was flowing out the top of the carboy. After some research and some thought I decided to siphon to my secondary and hope it survives. I learned I should have used the 6.5 g bucket over the carboy for my primary... we'll I am brewing octane ipa from Midwest with I believe safale s04 yeast but I didn't take an OG reading... today when I came home bubbling of the airlock came to a hault... what are your thoughts? I'm curious what my current SG is and if it tastes sweet or disgusting but I don't want to take any more risks too soon. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks for any help.

If its a high octane beer, especially with a yeast starter and definitely for a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy, you're gonna want a blowoff tube in your stopper, not an airlock, with the other end of the tube in a jug or bowl of starsan, vodka or water.
Without an OG reading you'll never know your abv or whether you were on point for the style.
If you record the details of your process for every batch, including the yeast strain and pitching method, you'll be able to modify and improve what you're doing on subsequent batches according to the results.

Thanks for your advice, i feel confident i'm more prepared for the second batch already. But as far as this one goes, is there a rough estimate what a FG should be or is it very different with all brews? I would like to be able to determine if its still doing okay/fermenting. Aside from contamination are there any major issues with racking to the secondary so soon, while fermentation is in full swing? I'm assuming if it doesn't start smelling horrible then it isn't contaminated, and if it isn't super sweet after another week or so the yeast must have done it's job.

The house was about 70-72 and the thermometer on the carboy read around 73. I believe the yeast said ideal range 59-70. Also i think the airlock blew off because krausen got in and started to clog it up. There was not enough head space that's why i transferred it to a bucket..

house was about 70-72 and the thermometer on the carboy read around 73. I believe the yeast said ideal range 59-70

For S04, I like to ferment around 62-64, as it gets weirdly fruity above 65. In any case, 73 isn't too terribly warm but S04 can definitely ferment out in 24-48 hours so it's probably just finishing up and that's why it seems stalled. It's probably just about done.

As said high temperatures can make a fermentation quick and violent. I start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube. I use 6 gallon Better Bottles for a 5 gallon batch. Too high can give you off flavors. Look into controlling your fermentation temperatures. The lowest cost is a tub of water that the fermentation vessel sits in, you add ice bottles as needed to control the temperature.

If this happens in the future, clean the airlock or use a blow off tube and keep the beer in primary until you reach final gravity, then you can transfer or just leave it in primary until done. FG + a couple of days at minimum to as much as a month or more depending on style.

Another thing, leave it alone for at least 5 more days. I rarely do anything to my beers before 14 days.

Latest posts

Back