Quick newbie water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugdry

Reaction score
So I am about to make my first batch of alcoholic ginger beer. We have sift water in our house. Can i use that for brewing, or do i need to buy bottled water?

Thanks

The first thing we look at when talking about water is what does your provided water consist of? Without knowing that variable it’s like trying to do algebra and only having half the equation. You really need to test your water and figure out the chemical and mineral content before trying to figure out if it’s appropriate for a specific style or not.

With that being said, I tell everyone who walks into my shop that water is the last thing that you should worry about. Master all other elements of the hobby before delving down the rabbit hole that is water chemistry.

Me personally, I would use bottled drinking water mostly for the fact that I know it has no chlorine, but also I can look on the website of the supplier and find the mineral content of said water. Yeast need a minimum of 50ppm calcium to grow and ferment healthy and happy, so as long as you meet the 50ppm Ca and no chlorine guidelines you should be fine.

If you really want to start delving into water, the water book is probably one of the best resources available. Also John Palmer put out about a 90 min lecture on YouTube on water that is very informative, but I’d suggest having a notepad and pen handy as it’s much like being in a chem 101 class.

I would also recommend going through the Brewing Network archives and finding the water extravaganza three part series which lays out water chemistry and it’s role in brewing.

Not sure Renegade Brewer realized that you had a water softener. I would definitely caution against brewing with water that has been through a water softener. Bottled spring water would be your best bet if you're not set up build an appropriate water from R.O. or distilled.

If you have a place locally where you can fill out of a dispenser it will be much cheaper than bottled water.

Sorry, I did not realize you were talking about a water softener. Using water softener. As mentioned above water softeners are not ideal for brewing.

Definitely start with a good quality RO water or drinking water. I recommend avoiding distilled water for the same reason that you are missing many of the minerals you need for healthy cell growth as well as your chloride and sulfates to bring out the characters you are looking for.

Back