Malts…. Can I store them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagarge

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of information on buying and storing my malte.

Now this will sound probly silly to some but i am obviously a newbie..

If i buy my malte grain from the supplier, and it is called malte, not whole grain. Am i right to assume the grain has been malted and dried ready to brew? Might be a dumb question but i dont want to spend money on grain i have to malte myself….

If so, i also assume i can store this grain in an airtight container and use as i need?

Thanks all👊

Cannot answer the question about whether it is malt or not, but the name seems to imply that.
As for storage, most of us who brew all-grain have some in storage for a period of months or more.
Keep it cool, dry and airtight and it will normally stay fresh for a while.

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of information on buying and storing my malte.

Now this will sound probly silly to some but i am obviously a newbie..

If i buy my malte grain from the supplier, and it is called malte, not whole grain. Am i right to assume the grain has been malted and dried ready to brew? Might be a dumb question but i dont want to spend money on grain i have to malte myself….

If so, i also assume i can store this grain in an airtight container and use as i need?

Thanks all👊

Im not aware of any homebrew suppliers at least in the states selling unmalted barley unless it is an adjunct.

What are some of the brands you are looking at?

Whether it's malt or un-malted barley, you can just store it in a container that keeps it dry and safe from pests. You could even just store it in the bag it came in if you aren't worried about the pests.

Anything more than a simple plastic bucket with a decent fitting lid, and I'd say you are being overly cautious. But I'm okay with that if it makes you feel good.

Dry is the key. You don't want it exposed to moisture. Temp is really unimportant. But sure, too hot might be bad. Especially if it starts roasting.

I use five gallon buckets, food grade with Gamma Seal covers to store opened bags of grain. The Gamma seal covers snap on to the buckets then the center part unscrews. Both the snap on ring and spin off cover have a gasket providing a good seal.

Not sure if they are available in your location but a worth while search with a beer.

Vittles Vaults are good storage, but also not sure if they are sold in your area. After reading the link, I would agree that this is malted barley for brewing. I haven't studied the language, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once (I have also studied Spanish, Italian, and French, and that helps).

Thanks guys!

After hearing this i am sure the brewer supplier has malted dried grains. I just did not want to order 25kg of unmalted grain 😂

I have some food grade 50l barrels with a secure lock to store them in. Got some cats around so no pests in the house.

I have another batch ready tomorrow depending on the gravity reading, on some yorkshire bitter. Tastes like a decent larger style beer. Thanks again and case closed 🍺

Got some cats around so no pests in the house.
The big pests in regards to grain (and malt) are bugs (insects), mice, rats, etc.

Weevils and grain moths are the main insects that can cause trouble for you. They, or their eggs and larvae, can be already present in the grain/malt you're buying.

When they sit in your storage area for a few months, at nice cozy temps for them, they'll hatch, multiply, and may spread to other sacks.

Although the grain/malt is usually still fine and very usable when a slight (unintended) invasion of (those) insects takes place, they're mostly a (big) nuisance, as they can spread to any other food around, including your kitchen and pantry. So try to avoid them, and keep inspecting your grain storage for any signs of them.

The cat isn't going to eat or taint the grain, unless she or he thinks it's a litter box. ;)

So keep the grain/malt stored in the original bags and seal them well between uses, or store inside (large) buckets with well-sealing lids, in a dry and cool place where animals and insects can't get into.

Latest posts

Back