Quick Grits--Confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm1473

Reaction score
Hello--

I have read no less than 15 threads about grits and I am still confused. My wife was into eating grits for breakfast for about a month but that ended. I was going through the cabinet the other day and found just shy of 3lbs of "Quaker Quick Grits". Coincidently the recipe I have been wanting to try requires 2.5lbs of flaked corn. So I began researching Quick Grits and found out they are just normal grits ground finer but many people on here equate them to instant grits as far as not having to do a cereal mash--so confusion has set in.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Are Quick grits and Instant grits the same?

2) Do I have to cereal mash them, just boil them or can I throw them in as is without precooking?

3) Is 2.5lbs of dry grits equal to 2.5lbs of flaked maize as far as gravity points?

4) If I have to cook them, can I cook them ahead of brew day and keep them in the fridge or should I do it immediately prior to mash.

5) How much do you have to compensate strike temp and volume with 2.5lbs of hot grits (usually I do 1.5qt/lb)??

Thanks--I know that is a lot of questions and I appreciate your time and responses.

1. No. But close enough to use them interchangeably in the mash!

2. No need to do anything- they can go right in the mash.

3. More or less, I believe.

4. You can cook them if you want, anytime.

5. I put them in the mash as is, but if they are hot you can use some brewing software to help you figure it out as an "infusion". That's what I do when I do a cereal mash- I count it as an addition.

They are fine for mashing, but... my opinion.. cook them, mix in a "healthy" portion of cheddar cheese, bacon, butter, salt and pepper, and you have an awesome meal that can be eaten any time of day, on brew day, on your birthday, with beer, any beer! :D

Great--thanks--into the mash they go!!

And roastquake, I could tell by your answer that you were south of the Mason/Dixon before I even saw your location in your header. I am a northerner and I like mine with some butter and sugar.

I used 5 min in my cream ale. Cooked all 24 oz. obviously comes out to like 4lbs cooked!!! I used about 2/3 of it. Hit the OG perfect. Even though I forgot the regular sugar!!! Can't wait for friends to try it.

Latest posts

Back