Frosted Flakes Wort Late Edition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for input on how this could backfire......

Every year, I brew a Red Ale for Chiefs' season. Last year I included a box of Kelce Krunch (essentially Frosted Flakes) in the mash.

I would have done that again this year, but there was no Chiefs' player cereal release this year. So I brewed my Red Ale a couple of weeks ago and was getting ready to keg it this weekend.

However....... my brother passed away a couple of years ago, and as I was unexpectedly going through his old sports memorabilia collection today, I found a 2-year-old box of Mahomes Magic Crunch.

I instantly regretted not finding it in time to add it to this year's Red Ale (my brother would have been 100% onboard with this plan). And then I wondered if I could just BIAB the cereal in 1 gallon of RO water, mash for 30 minutes, quick boil, cool, and then add it to the fermenter as a late additon and wait another week to keg.

There is plenty of space in the all-rounder fermenter for another gallon. But I am just not sure if adding more wort (and that type of wort) at this stage may result in something undesirable. Good or bad, I will be drinking this beer for as long as the Chiefs' season lasts. So I would really prefer not to doink it up.

To the extent it would impact you advice, the recipe was basicly Irish Red malts, German noble hops, and Omega Kolsch II yeast.

I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

Also, I brewed enough for one standard keg and one smaller keg. So maybe I will just keg the smaller keg, then add the cereal wort to the fermenter and then be able to compare later........

I like the idea of adding the flakes in honor of your brother. I have no idea what your OG would be with just the flakes. If similar to original wort I'd think you'd be okay. If too low, maybe add some of your malt to get it in line. Or you could put the flakes in the freezer and brew with them next year. Good luck!🍻

Thank you for the suggestions/info.

I think I'm going to save the cereal for next year. This year's Red Ale is already the "Germany" version (Chiefs play their first game in Germany this year). I am curious how this one turns out and am hesitant to throw this extra part in at the last second.

But now I'll start planning next year's as the "three year old cereal ale."

Thank you.

Back