Grits vs. Craked Corn

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

d40dave

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for flaked corn I have started to use quick grits, it's more available and cheaper I cook the grits first to gelatinize them and then add it to the mash. I have done a few experiments and cannot tell the difference between this and flaked corn but with quick grits I have found the gelatinization step is necessary. I was an an errand today and stopped by a feed store that sells craked corn. It's a little cheaper than quick grits from Walmart. I was wondering if anybody has experience using craked corn. Thanks.

Jim R

Reaction score
I just bought flaked corn at my favorite online brewing store for $1.89 per lb. My last Cream Ale recipe called for 1 lb. It wouldn't be worth it to me to experiment with feed store corn that is made for animal feed (or to cook grits for that matter).

Reaction score
I use quick grits in place of flaked corn. They are pre gelatinized so I just add them dry when I dough in. What do you notice with them when cooking prior to mashing?

day_trippr

Moderna Or Bust! :D
Reaction score
Flaked corn can go straight in the mash, period. No pre-processing required.
"Instant Grits" (aka "Minute Grits") can also go straight in the mash.
"Quick Grits" are borderline - I've read folks recommending cooking them before adding to the mash, others say it's not necessary.
"Regular Grits" definitely need cooking prior to adding to the mash...

Cheers!

Reaction score
Thanks for that d-t. I probably misspoke above in saying that quick grits are pregelatinized. They are not. They are fine ground to facilitate 5 minute cooking. Instant grits are indeed precooked.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i've brewed with feed store cracked corn, and didn't like the flavor of it.

i know this isn't as apealing as a $10 sack from the feed store, but think you'd be happier with it...

Last edited:

hottpeper13

Reaction score
I use organic stone ground yellow grits. I do the cereal mash with pils malt for liquefaction and after the 20 min boil I add it to the main mash as a decoction step.