quick fermentation needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ru41285

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Last minute I find out that my wife and I are having company next weeked and I'm looking to have something decent on tap in one weeks time. I know I know I know, it's better if it sits. But I'm gonna shoot for a session hoppy blonde ale (og = 1.045).

My main question is about the yeast. I don't have time for a starter and I usually use wlp007. While this will floc perfectly, my concern is fermentation time. As a result I started looking at s04 since it reportedly ferments quickly but I haven't used it in a very long time.

Do you guys think I could easily get away with 2 vials of wlp007 or should I just go with s04 since it quickly ferments? Both should floc well so I just want it to get it's job done quickly.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Most people are going to say that this is a bad idea, myself included. If you want to show off your brewing skills, rushing something through the process is not the way to do it.

That said, if you're going to do it anyway, a very low SG beer (like you mentioned) will ferment pretty fast. A starter will help your fermentation start sooner, but a rehydrated packet of dry yeast will start quickly too. I think you'll have better luck using US-05.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

I once did a week turn around on a beer with s04. Make sure you ramp up temp in day 4 or 5 to clean up diacetyl fast.

Agree. Getting something drinkable in 2 weeks is a pretty tough feat. It's just not a great idea as a homebrew ambassador to serve people super young beer. The next time homebrew is offered to them, it will be a hard pass. Use it as a learning experience that you have to brew a lot more often to get your pipeline full.

I'd go with US-05 over S-04. Also agree with starting to ramp the temp up after day 3 or 4 to accelerate fermentation. Also, since you're kegging, it wont be a big deal if you keg while its not entirely done fermenting since pressure can build up in the keg without an issue. So you could start carbing it while it finishes fermenting.

I actually have a 12-day old Pale Ale on tap right now that I rushed in time for an big festival near my house. I wanted it on tap for folks that arent as into beer to enjoy

Not ideal, may just be better off buying some beer.

Hefe might not be a bad one since it's cloudy, lots of esters, and usually rips through quick

1) Go to the store and buy a keg of 2 hearted
2) Hook up in kegerator
3) Make up fancy name
4) Claim as your own. When visitors exclaim "This is amazing", respond humbly "I think it is good, but I was trying to go for more hop aroma"

In seriousness, I think this is something that most of us have tried to, to some extent or another. I am inclined to agree with the folks saying that it's better to not serve a too-young beer at all. If you are going to do it- low SG, light color, and either a very clean, vigorous yeast or something where yeast character and cloudiness is desirable (hefe, etc).

I always bottle a few out of each keg to have around to stick in the fridge later for these occasions.

Rushed homebrew usually equals sub-par homebrew. I want the stuff that I share with family and friends to be top rate.

Assuming that you keg the beer. If not it is impossible, unless you want to drink flat beer.

I wouldn't even try, myself. If so I would go even lower on the OG and hope for the best.

Assuming that you keg the beer. If not it is impossible, unless you want to drink flat beer.

I wouldn't even try, myself. If so I would go even lower on the OG and hope for the best.

Back