quick cold crashing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb23

Reaction score
So i normally don't take too much stock in clarity, but as i've been improving in my brewing i've started to want to make clearer beer. I cold crashed my "Camden Common" (american amber with a little rye) and it's been sitting in the fridge for about three days now. Should i let it warm up for a day before i bottle or just go ahead and bottle it straight from the fridge

Bottle it straight from the fridge. Just be sure to consider the temp of the beer when using a priming calculator. Colder beer contains more dissolved co2 than warm beer and you will need to use less priming sugar.

Bottle it straight from the fridge. Just be sure to consider the temp of the beer when using a priming calculator. Colder beer contains more dissolved co2 than warm beer and you will need to use less priming sugar.

It won't really carbonate well in the fridge at 38 degrees. I believe you will need to let beer warm up to room temp and leave it for 3 weeks to condition. Priming sugar should be the standard amount since it needs to be at a fermenting temp to carbonate.

Bottle straight from fridge.

Use the highest temperature the beer was at after fermentation was complete for your priming sugar calculations. (Not the cold crash temperature.)

After bottling store bottles at room temperature for three weeks.

Enjoy!

Not really! If the beer was at "normal" temperatures before cold crashing, then use that temperature. The only time you have more dissolved co2 in the beer is when the fermentation occurred at a cooler temperature, such as in a lager. If you fermented the beer at 65-68 degrees before cold crashing, the co2 would have off-gassed and using the proper amount of priming sugar (4 ounces by weight for me) works perfectly.

Back