Questions of Using adjunct for stout ~

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGBM.SOO

Reaction score
I am planning to make pastry stout.
But I have some questions.

One is to store cookies in vodka for a week and put both vodka and cookies in the second fermentation.
If I put vodka together at this time, wouldn't it increase alcohol and adversely affect beer?
Also, is there enough flavor and taste of cookies in beer? Head will be less sustainable, right?

Second, I will use cacao nibs and vanilla beans.
How much cacao nibs and vanilla beans will be needed for 20 liters?

Lastly, does anyone have any experience using cocoa powder for boiling? Did you feel enough smell and taste?

I use 4 oz of nibs and 4 split and scraped vanilla beans for a 5 gallon batch. I soak them in vodka or Bourbon for a couple weeks then add before kegging. I would stay away from secondaries unless your racking over fruit or conditioning for a long time . I've never used cookies before but someone here will give their experience. You can search around here and see that people have used all kinds of stuff like cereal ect....I would think that the cookies will play a part in head retention.

I use 4 oz of nibs and 4 split and scraped vanilla beans for a 5 gallon batch. I soak them in vodka or Bourbon for a couple weeks then add before kegging. I would stay away from secondaries unless your racking over fruit or conditioning for a long time . I've never used cookies before but someone here will give their experience. You can search around here and see that people have used all kinds of stuff like cereal ect....I would think that the cookies will play a part in head retention.

Will 4 ounces make enough chocolate flavor?
Last time, I added 300g of cacao nibs to the 10 L Imperial stout.
It tasted good, but it was a bit acidic.
I know that cookies have an adverse effect on head retention due to the fat ingredients. Is that right?

If you use Oreos, all that fatty stuffing (which is basically Crisco mixed with sugar and a touch of vanilla) can't be good for head - never mind retention of same. I'd scrape off and discard the stuffing and just add the cookies with some vanilla on general principle...

Cheers!

Will 4 ounces make enough chocolate flavor?
Last time, I added 300g of cacao nibs to the 10 L Imperial stout.
It tasted good, but it was a bit acidic.
I know that cookies have an adverse effect on head retention due to the fat ingredients. Is that right?

I also used chocolate malt , 1 # . Yes the chocolate was good . I dont brew imperials so that may be the difference. My choc milk stout comes out about 5.7 abv

I also used chocolate malt , 1 # . Yes the chocolate was good . I dont brew imperials so that may be the difference. My choc milk stout comes out about 5.7 abv

Yes my 10L stout was abv 8%
How much chocolate malt did you use for 5 gallons?

If you use Oreos, all that fatty stuffing (which is basically Crisco mixed with sugar and a touch of vanilla) can't be good for head - never mind retention of same. I'd scrape off and discard the stuffing and just add the cookies with some vanilla on general principle...

Cheers!

if he's worried about getting head, what about chocolate wafers instead of oreos? seems easier? i've lost track of the thread, i'm just laughing about "cookies'n'cream" beer....:)

but hell where there's a will there's a way!

I've brewed more stouts than anything else and have been able to get just about every flavor I could probably ever want without adding cookies or other similar ingredients. Can I ask what type of pastry flavors you are trying to add to your Stout? It really depends on what specific flavors/aromas you're after.

For example, chocolate flavors can easily be added by using chocolate grains in the mash or by using cacao nibs in the boil or secondary. You could make a vanilla bean tincture or add vanilla beans to secondary. I've added cinnamon both in the boil and in secondary with good results. I just kegged a chai spiced Imperial Stout that used a combination of ingredients added in the boil and via tincture/dry hop style. For other flavors, like mint or hazelnut, you could try using flavor extracts.

If you want your beer to tste like cookies, I'd add the ingredients that are in cookies to your beer, instead of adding cookies to your beer. This will give you greater control over each individual flavor as you can research how much is too much for each one.

Having said all of that, if you really want to add cookies, I think I'd do it in the mash.

I've brewed more stouts than anything else and have been able to get just about every flavor I could probably ever want without adding cookies or other similar ingredients. Can I ask what type of pastry flavors you are trying to add to your Stout? It really depends on what specific flavors/aromas you're after.

For example, chocolate flavors can easily be added by using chocolate grains in the mash or by using cacao nibs in the boil or secondary. You could make a vanilla bean tincture or add vanilla beans to secondary. I've added cinnamon both in the boil and in secondary with good results. I just kegged a chai spiced Imperial Stout that used a combination of ingredients added in the boil and via tincture/dry hop style. For other flavors, like mint or hazelnut, you could try using flavor extracts.

If you want your beer to tste like cookies, I'd add the ingredients that are in cookies to your beer, instead of adding cookies to your beer. This will give you greater control over each individual flavor as you can research how much is too much for each one.

Having said all of that, if you really want to add cookies, I think I'd do it in the mash.

Thanks for the answer.
Um... I want to make a dessert-like stout.
For example, sweet cookies, ice cream, etc.
Why don't you put all the cookies in vodka and make them into extracts like vanilla bean extracts?
I'd like to experiment with this, too.
And I'm going to put cocoa powder in the boil.
Will the scent evaporate?

if he's worried about getting head, what about chocolate wafers instead of oreos? seems easier? i've lost track of the thread, i'm just laughing about "cookies'n'cream" beer....:)[...]

Frankly, I find the whole "pastry stout", "cupcake stout", "oreo stout", etc thing revolting, but I'm not going to tell the OP that...

Cheers! ;)

Frankly, I find the whole "pastry stout", "cupcake stout", "oreo stout", etc thing revolting, but I'm not going to tell the OP that...

Cheers! ;)

lol, if they had some expired chocolate wafers they were trying to get rid of, i wouldn't be above throwing in the mash to boost OG.....have to be cheaper then a bag of flour though....

One is to store cookies in vodka for a week and put both vodka and cookies in the second fermentation.
If I put vodka together at this time, wouldn't it increase alcohol and adversely affect beer?
Also, is there enough flavor and taste of cookies in beer? Head will be less sustainable, right?

Lastly, does anyone have any experience using cocoa powder for boiling? Did you feel enough smell and taste?

No to cocoa powder (it makes a god awful mess) There is however a chocolate liquid that a few major breweries use...hard to find and I forget the name so I apologize in advance. Yes to cacao nibs. I would soak your nibs in a chocolate vodka, in a 4 ounce mason jar...only enough to soak the nibs. Strain and add the vodka. It wont impact your ABV enough to be concerned about. As far as chocolate cookies, I love the idea, but if you are set on that profile, use wafers (as others said) and incorporate it as a flameout steep. No cream. Replace the cream with half a pound of lactose at 10 minutes. Soak a full vanilla bean in vanilla vodka for about 3 days. then slice and scape. Add the internals of the bean to the fermenter just at the end of fermentation so you dont introduce oxygen after fermentation is over, and thread a piece of sanitized string through and hang in the fermenter for the entire length of your "secondary" (not telling you to transfer because people will jump on my case about it, but leave it until you are ready to bottle)

In my experience, you arent going to get the chocolate flavor you seek from malts alone no matter what they claim to do...

Apex flavors makes some really good alcohol top notes for beer...investigate and experiment. Let us know what you come up with and we will keep helping

I’m about to start an Oreo milk stout this month. Still researching the recipe and how to go about it. I plan on breaking secondary into different batches and trying different techniques. I want one gallon to be with a tincture of Vanilla vodka that I soak Oreos in for about a week. Another I plan on straight up throwing Oreos in and seeing what happens because I’ve seen postings of it working for people. I’m thinking of trying another with just the chocolate cookie part of Oreos and vanilla bean in the secondary.

Lemme know how your brew comes and what you think!

Thanks for the answer.
Um... I want to make a dessert-like stout.
For example, sweet cookies, ice cream, etc.
Why don't you put all the cookies in vodka and make them into extracts like vanilla bean extracts?
I'd like to experiment with this, too.
And I'm going to put cocoa powder in the boil.
Will the scent evaporate?
Hey how did this turn out? About to try it this month

Back