Question - Which Stored Yeast to Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Many Times do you Re-Use Yeast

• Total voters

dangove

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about which of your stored yeasts you use:

If a mother yeast makes 3 Mason Jars of repitchable yeast, and I use each jar at least 2 more times, would you suggest I follow pattern (A) or (B) below as I brew subsequent batches?

(A)
Date today -------------------------------------------> Future Date

OrigYeast
---------->Jar 1->repitch Jar1->repitch Jar1
---------->Jar 2 ------------------------------>repitch jar2->repitch jar2
---------->Jar 3 ------------------------------------------------------------>repitch3->repictch3

OR

(B)
Date today -----------------------------------------> Future Date

OrigYeast
---------->Jar 1->repitch Jar1------------------------------->repitch Jar1
---------->Jar 2---------------->repitch Jar2------------------------------>repitch Jar2
---------->Jar 3------------------------------->repitch Jar3---------------------------->repitch3

Thanks in advance for any comments you provide. I'm just wondering whether to use up all generation 1, before moving to generation 2 etc, or whether I should just use each jar sequentially?

Derek

inquiring minds wanna know...I have yeast harvested but never used harvested yeast...yet...

Yes, I'm freezing them as well. Im using old White Labs tubes, with a bit of glycerin.
IMG_1134.jpg
I have a huge amount of yeast now. The last brew I did, I used one Mason Jar, and one frozen tube. Both worked out very well
IMG_1132.jpg

inquiring minds wanna know...I have yeast harvested but never used harvested yeast...yet...

On November 9, I brewed a 10 gallon batch and split the two carboys between two yeasts. One was a Mason Jar, and 1 frozen test tube

The Mason Jar was WY1056 about two weeks old, and I took it out of the fridge about 24 hours before pitching. No starter.

The frozen tube was Imperial Ale House A01. I took it out 3 days in advance and pitched it into a 1 Litre starter. It took about a day to start in the starter.

After I pitched each one into its 5 gallon carboy, they both started within about 12 hours.
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1137.jpg

When I use liquid yeast I make a starter a little bigger than needed for my recipe. I then make up four 20 ml vials that are 5 ml yeast 5 ml glycerin and 10 ml water. These get chilled in the fridge overnight then go into the freezer the next day. I have resurrected frozen yeast over 6 years after being frozen. I had plans to make four new vials from the last one but haven't used the last and made a new batch. I have only used up one or two of the yeasts I have saved.

So I have not re-pitched any so far. 1st generation only. I have read that some people go up to 10 generations.

I collect yeast in a jar (usually 3 jars) seal with a pickle pipe lid and put in my cold crash fridge. (33-34f) I usually only go one round, simply because I don't want to get in a rut of brewing with the same yeast. I may change that if I get a few different ones going.

I think as I'm getting more experienced with yeast, I'm finding that my Mason Jar yeast bank, and my frozen vial yeast bank is rapidly increasing. Especially, as I add new varieties of yeast.

It is almost not worth it to make Mason Jars, since I don't know how long it will be until I come back around to use that variety again, meanwhile each Mason Jar is getting older and older.

However, if I always freeze yeast - in theory they keep forever. Its just important to make a starter well in advance.

My frozen samples, being so small take a 3 step up starter so I have to start a week ahead of brew day. I have saved yeast in mason jars but by the time I decide to use that variety again they are getting so old that I have dumped them all. I would say that in a mason jar I would keep them only a couple of months.

I do have a wild yeast in a mason jar that I want to use again. It has been in the refrigerator since 4/18. I will have to do a starter and see if there is any yeast left alive in there.

Latest posts

Back