Question for those who keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
How long do you typically age a beer in the secondary before you keg and carb.

I know it kinda depends on the brew, but lets say a typical amber or brown ale. OG 1.50 to 1.060

I usually do about 10 days in the fermenter, 3 weks in the secondary to clear up, and then keg and 1 week to carb.

Does this sound about right or am I moving too fast.

Thanks

The 1-2-3 method used by bottlers also works well for most kegged brews.

1 week in primary

2 weeks in secondary

3 weeks in the keg

I have only been kegging for about 2 months but I usually do 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, then I chill for 24 hours or to servine temp then force carbonate and serve. I do also have a follow up to this. What if it is a big beer og 1.085, is 2 weeks primary and two weeks secondary enough before kegging?

The hydrometer never lies...I wait a week to two in the primary, then move into the secondary until I hit my FG....finally into the keg for at least 3 weeks...I have found that beers are like a good chili, they are always better after they have enough time for their flavors to meld together...chili, it's overnight in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours...Beer takes a bit longer, but in either case, your patience will be rewarded..

I generally go 3-5 weeks in the primary before cold crashing and racking straight to my kegs. If I have room in my "lagering/storage" fridge, the kegs go right in there, usually for another month or two. If not, I'll stash them in my fermentation freezer (usually around 65°F) or even leave them at room temperature (low seventies) until a spot in the fridge opens up.

By keeping the pipeline full, my kegs gets to cold condition a good LONG time. By the time the beer reaches my faucets, it's crisp, clean and crystal clear.

I've been drinking a beer that I kegged. Did the 1-2-... rule, it's now been over a week since being put in the keg and has been getting better every day.

I've been listening to a lot of the Jamil Show podcasts on thebrewingnetwork.com and following his advice on fermenting. For most normal gravity ales, he advises 10 days to 2 weeks in the primary then moving the beer straight to the keg. There is no secondary. Lagers could be 2-3 weeks in the primary then right to the keg to lager.

When there has been no airlock activity for a couple of days, I crash cool it (52 degrees for 2 days) and then move it to a keg. I let the keg sit until I have room in the kegerator.

Unless I'm dry hopping, I typically don't worry about a secondary. I think my beers are better, and there's less work. It's a win all the way around.

I got a bit frisky and ordered a small set, containing what will be my first mini keg(5 litres), with a pack five Co2 cartriges and a separate tap which I figure the Co2 is for. Is this for straining Co2 into the brew or just for pouring? Never kegged before, but I figured it's more practical than bottling?

For me, I leave them in the primary 3 weeks then rack to keg and put in kegerator. I think it's low 40s in there and it sits on the gas there for 2-3 weeks before drinking. Any others get priming sugar and sit in my basement 3 weeks.

Mike

yeah I just kegged my first beer (an ESB) after being in the primary for 3 1/2 weeks and then cold crashing for another half. But once it was on tap I started drinking it.... how could I resist??? But after a week or two I was pissed that I started drinking it cause it started to taste A LOT better.

So from now on I am gona leave in primary for 3 1/2 to 4 weeks, cold crash, then keg but leave it be for a couple more weeks. My pipleline is starting to flow pretty good now so it should be easier to wait.

Latest posts

Back