Question About Baking Yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manku007

Reaction score
Hello Everyone :D

Since here I don't have tools and other things to brew. That's why I need to know some of the basic things.

Like I don't have wine or beer yeast to brew, I have to use baking yeast.

I also don't have carboys or any other tools here officially, that means I cannot buy here but can make them.

I want to know everything about baking yeast, That means :-

how much alcohol it can produce, what temperature this yeast needs and many other little little things, how I can improve the taste etc etc because you guys knows much more than me.:rockin:

My first priority is to make beer:tank: from barley or wheat because I don't have kits here or something like that.

If anyone know how I can make things from non brewing things then please tell me and help me, Like I know how to make the airlock with one pipe and a bottle filled with water. I need this kinds of tricks.

If I have forgot anything to ask then please let me know.:drunk:

Thanks in advanced bye bye take care..... need help

My first beer was with Blue Ribbon malt, Red Star yeast, and table sugar. My buddy said to put the whole bag in (5 lbs) so I did. No hops. Boiled it for about half an hour and put it in a bucket. We made a simple airlock from a length of plastic tubing running from the lid into a jar of water. After three days, he came over to my house where it was fermenting, and said, "I think we are supposed to stir it." I had no idea, so I got it and set it on the carpet. After about three swishes, it foamed up like a volcano. It looked worse than it was; mostly air. We didn't lose much. Then he said, "Maybe we weren't supposed to stir it."
Anyway, the beer came out 14% according to a hydrometer. A little fruit juice glass would get you loopy.

The first thing i brewed was a mead i made was nothing but store brand honey, fleishmans yeast, and water. Put it in a 1L growler with a balloon over the neck for an airlock. Let it sit for a couple weeks, tasted like bitter honey biscuit and ass, but really got you hammered.

I think bakers yeast can go as high as 13% depending on a few conditions.

As far as malts go... unmalted barley wont do you much good as it has no conversion powers.

Like I don't have wine or beer yeast to brew, I have to use baking yeast.

Yeesh..:( Bread yeast is really not clean nor attenuative nor flocculent. Get someone to send you a few packs of Nottingham. Repitch that until it gets infected or tired.

My first beer was with Blue Ribbon malt, Red Star yeast, and table sugar. My buddy said to put the whole bag in (5 lbs) so I did. No hops. Boiled it for about half an hour and put it in a bucket. We made a simple airlock from a length of plastic tubing running from the lid into a jar of water. After three days, he came over to my house where it was fermenting, and said, "I think we are supposed to stir it." I had no idea, so I got it and set it on the carpet. After about three swishes, it foamed up like a volcano. It looked worse than it was; mostly air. We didn't lose much. Then he said, "Maybe we weren't supposed to stir it."
Anyway, the beer came out 14% according to a hydrometer. A little fruit juice glass would get you loopy.

That is awesome

Thanks for all your support. I am interested in brewing very much but I don't have right things and tools with me and also not very much knowledge.

Help me guys Please, I need to brew something which is overall nice and good to drink :D

Cheers:tank:

Heck, anybody should be able to get their hands on a great strain of yeast.....lot's and lot's of yeast is available at the bottom of a bottle near you! I believe you should be able to get malto goya at a grocery store as well....you have the start of a yeast starter suitable for brewing.

My first beer was an extract kolsch, that was 30 batches ago, and many folks say that was my best batch of beer.....so you can make a great beer right out of the chute. Just do your research.

Heck, anybody should be able to get their hands on a great strain of yeast.....lot's and lot's of yeast is available at the bottom of a bottle near you! I believe you should be able to get malto goya at a grocery store as well....you have the start of a yeast starter suitable for brewing.

My first beer was an extract kolsch, that was 30 batches ago, and many folks say that was my best batch of beer.....so you can make a great beer right out of the chute. Just do your research.

Ummm, yeah, did you happen to notice he lives in India? I doubt they consume many Latin beverages... What exactly do you have available to you manku007? Any kind of closed container should work. Hell, you could probably do open fermentation if the conditions are good.

Ummm, yeah, did you happen to notice he lives in India? I doubt they consume many Latin beverages... What exactly do you have available to you manku007? Any kind of closed container should work. Hell, you could probably do open fermentation if the conditions are good.

r_flagg here I don't have beer or wine kits to brew and the brewing tools are also hard to find. I have to search a lot for those chemicals which are needed to prevent beer or wine from many bacterias and other micro organisms.

Do you Have water Jugs? clean buckets? Bleach? If you can find an aquarium store they could also have supplies you could use. I don't know too much about India but you must have some things available to you. People have been doing it for centuries and I doubt all of them we super sanitary in making batches. Some beer is still drinkable even with certain infections.

I really prefer bakers yeast to many other dried ale yeast like muntons or coopers. It produces a beverage with a lot less cringe factor. I would say to get a 1 gallon jug and make some very rustic cider. it is by far the best thing you can make with bakers yeast and no modern beer ingredients. Ive actually made a good cherry apple cider with bakers yeast. you could also make mead like the ancient mead recipe on this site if you don't mind waiting a year or so before it tastes good.

the highest ABV I've gotten from bakers yeast was like 7%. but maybe you could get it higher.

Thanks Encinoman and Blauvelt for the help, yes it will helping me a lot. Since I am new to this thing and here I don't have anyone who have a hobby like this or I don't know that person who is with me brewing and I don't know that he brew.

Encinoman yes I have fish stores here and I can find it easily. But please tell me what are the stuffs I can get there, that means for brewing so that I can go there and buy it. I also have a market of medicines and chemicals (wholesale) I think I can find many things there but never visited.

The problem is that home brewing is illegal here and I cannot ask peoples that I want some tools or stuffs for home brewing, that will quite shocking for those shop keeper, So I will show them that I need those things for other work not for brewing.

Blauvelt yes that is very nice of you, but I am interested in beer than other things like wine or cider, mead will be the second option that I can make but it need time for aging. Since I can get barley or wheat easily that's why I prefer beer and I like the taste of the beer very much, I have never tasted wine but when I will brew that I will see how does it taste.

One again thanks for your help. :D

Hi Manku007 !

You've made me wondered a lot .

Is there in India no good Beer available in the Shops to buy ?!!

We both ( You & I ) have something in common .

I live in the Middle East , not far from India . Brewing is in my Country illegal , too .
There is no good Beer available in the shops ( Only some Alcohol Free brands ) but they are very low in quality .

So I planned to brew myself at Home and read a lot about it . I arranged a simple brewing System , using a plastic distilled Water Container .

Fortunately , I could find a Firm that sells Malt Extract and Hop in my Country and I bought some .

It can be very interesting to you to hear that the Malt Extract which I bought is imported from your Country !!!

Unfortunately , there is no Beer Yeast available to buy here . Therefore , I used Bread Yeast three times with three
different conditions but the Result was always the same :

" A SOUR and NASTY UNDRINKABLE BEER " :(

Now , I'm trying to find a way to get brewing yeast .

My advice to you :

Read a lot about brewing , using Internet and Forums . there are many experienced brewers who can be very helpful ( As they were to me ) .

Start brewing with small Batches first .

And the most important : " Patience "

I will share with you my experiences by all means , if you ask .

Good Luck !

Hector

Beer is pretty tough to make without specialized equipment and ingredients. Wine and mead is a great deal easier but it takes a lot longer to become "drinkable". I've used bread yeast with pretty good results. You can also find ways to harvest wild yeast. The biggest issue for you will likely be the extremely limited availability of hops and malts. You have to malt your barley before you can brew with it which is a pretty long, intense, drawn out process. Once you get your hands on some malt you'll need something to mash your grains in. If you can find a source for malt extract then it will be much easier for you. You'll also need a big enough pot to boil your wort and a suitable fermentation vessel. Hops grow wild all over here so even if all of the homebrew stores stopped selling them I'd still be able to find some. I don't know if they grow wild where you live, though.

Wine and mead are both much easier to make. The good thing about wine is that you can make it with just about anything. You just need some fruit, water, sugar and yeast. You can even get away with skipping the sugar and yeast if you know what you're doing. Just mash up several pounds of fruit in a bucket, stir it every day until it starts to bubble then rack the liquid into a fermentation vessel and leave it alone for a few months. Pitching some yeast will help speed up the process considerably and help insure that you don't get some other type of infection. To be honest, if I didn't have access to quality homebrewing ingredients I'd probably just stick to wine and mead. Beer is awesome and all but you really have to have a lot of control over your ingredients and your process to make good beer.

PM me your addresses and I'll send you both some nottingham.

do you have access to malted barley or wheat? If the enzymes are not there and you mash you will just get some starchy liquid; something like barley broth. I think that malting your own barley might be a bit tough though not impossible.

also for beer you need a bittering herb like hops, or the beer will be very cloying and hard to drink. You do not necessarily need hops, but I cannot suggest a herb, as I have no idea what grows in India. I've made a pretty good beer with dandelions, but I don't think they are very common in India. check out gruitale.com and you might find something that grows in India.

Some wild yeast might be good in your case. If you use yeast from the skins of fruit you have a pretty good chance of getting viable yeast (and possibly some bacteria). Maybe a starter with some fruit juice would work in telling you if you have a good yeast or something else. Most bacteria is not unpalatable except Clostridia or acetobacter which you can keep to a minimum by not aerating, and to my knowledge no pathogenic bacteria can live in alcohol.

good luck!

One of the reasons this forum rocks.

Manku007: if you can purchase barley or wheat, you can malt it yourself. Once malted, you can always roast some for a little more character.

If you mean by "you both" manku007 and me , I should say again that such things are Illegal in my Country and

the Post won't bring it to me .

Beer brewing or Wine making is always done SECRETLY here .

Anyway , Thanks for your kindness .

Hector

Beer is pretty tough to make without specialized equipment and ingredients. Wine and mead is a great deal easier but it takes a lot longer to become "drinkable".

As I said before , I've read a lot about brewing Beer and Wine making and I think Wine making is definitly harder than brewing .

I mean , there are lots of things that should be under control by Wine making such as pH , TA , Temp. , SO2 , Yeast Nutrient , Racking and so on .

Aging takes time for both Beer and Wine .

Hector

Thanks WAdamC for your help, Since you have asked for that it is something more than that. Its an Honor for me and I am really very happy that there are guys like you, who are helping other peoples without any profits or any mean.

Thanks for helping, I will contact you later, not for yeast or equipments but help on brewing.:tank:

As I said before , I've read a lot about brewing Beer and Wine making and I think Wine making is definitly harder than brewing .

I mean , there are lots of things that should be under control by Wine making such as pH , TA , Temp. , SO2 , Yeast Nutrient , Racking and so on .

Aging takes time for both Beer and Wine .

Hector

Both are equally easy if you just want something to drink. The more specific you want the taste then the more specific you need to be on the ingredients and fermentation.

When I was a young boy my father and I use to go to the backwoods of Texas and pick wild grown grapes. Then we would take them back smash them with a 2X4 in a plastic bucket and strain the juice from the grapes through cheese cloth. Then we would throw in those baker yeast cubs and a couple pounds of sugar and let it ferment in the hot Texas summer for a few weeks.

This red wine is in fact Texas Redneck Wine. It was strong, sweet and looking back now I don't know how we actually got so many gallons of wine. They didn't even turn to vinegar and the last I know it had a shelf life of 8 years, but I have not drank any in a long time.

Now I follow the real directions and even have a small Blanc du Bois grape variety that was once part of John Haak's vineyard.

[This is not an endorsement for any illegal activity. I am posting this for those in areas where it is LEGAL to help THEM. After all the interwebs are all over.]

My story:
I used baker’s yeast to make wine from sugar and Welch’s grape juice concentrate. It took several times of using the trub to get the fresh baked yeast roll flavor out. But soon my friends were raving about how good it was. It tasted nothing like Welch’s, more like flat Andre Champagne.

A tip:
If baker’s yeast is all you can get, make a small batch. Then use the trub from it to make another batch. Do this SEVERAL times and the yeast will get better at using the extracts/barley/wheat or whatever.

To keep from loosing to much expensive and hard to find extract, do this in real small batches until you get the yeast you want. Then grow up the volume by progressively bigger batches.

Once you have a good strain, read up on yeast washing and freezing to keep plenty around for later. Be sure to always keep some yeast back. You never know when a batch might get infected and have to be dumped. I’d hate to have to start over with baker’s yeast.

Look in Health food stores for malt extract.

A tip:
If baker’s yeast is all you can get, make a small batch. Then use the trub from it to make another batch. Do this SEVERAL times and the yeast will get better at using the extracts/barley/wheat or whatever.

Do you mean something like a Starter ?!

I used bread yeast three times .

Under 86 Degrees Fahrenheit , they are very lazy .

The Beer came out sour , bready and nasty . Although , I had sanitized everything very carefully with Iodophor .

Alcohol : 3%

Apparent Attenuation : 56%

I used bread yeast once for Wine making , too . they emit vigorously H2S , as they are in contact with Sucrose . The Cane Sugar is purified by using SO2 and that bothers the yeast .

I will NEVER , NEVER , NEVER use bread yeast again for brewing and Wine making .

Hector

I guess you could call the first batch a starter, for a starter, for a starter, for a starter, for a starter, for pitching starter. Just drain off the liquid and pitch new extract wort onto the previous starter’s trub.

Like I said, worked for me.

Thank you guys, nice information and it is really helping me in understanding things a lot.

I have one question from Beer Guy that a starter is made up of water, yeast and sugar, or something else, what I have understood is that put the bakers yeast in this solution, then throw the liquid part after some time and then brew with the left one, repeat this step for about 2 to 4 times , then I think we can get different yeast than bakers yeast.

If I am wrong then please correct me guys :D thanks

Thank you guys, nice information and it is really helping me in understanding things a lot.

I have one question from Beer Guy that a starter is made up of water, yeast and sugar, or something else, what I have understood is that put the bakers yeast in this solution, then throw the liquid part after some time and then brew with the left one, repeat this step for about 2 to 4 times , then I think we can get different yeast than bakers yeast.

If I am wrong then please correct me guys :D thanks

Your Inbox is full and you won't receive any PM untill you delete some Messages there !

Hector

The problem is that home brewing is illegal here and I cannot ask peoples that I want some tools or stuffs for home brewing, that will quite shocking for those shop keeper, So I will show them that I need those things for other work not for brewing.

Hi Manku007 !

I live in the Middle East , not far from India . Brewing is in my Country illegal , too .

Hector

When you signed up for the forum, there is something you agree to when you sign up. It is this: YOU MUST BE OF LEGAL AGE TO PRODUCE HOME BREW IN YOUR STATE/COUNTRY TO REGISTER AND READ THIS FORUM. BY AGREEING TO THESE TERMS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU ARE.

Anyone who is underage in the USA, or in countries where homebrewing is illegal, are not to be on the forum.

There are a couple of states in the US where homebrewing is illegal, but thankfully that's changing in OK.

Anyway, my point is that we cannot condone illegal behavior. I would never encourage anybody to lie about their location or their age, but I certainly can't allow conversations about illegal activity to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back