Safale us 05 vs baker's yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginnier927

Reaction score
The safale is really hard and expensive to get in my country since it's a banned item (drinking and making alcoholic drinks are prohibited here)
Yet I can get it at an unreasonably high price, I can also get my hands on some saf levure (it's a very good French baking yeast) at one third of the price of the us05

I've never brewed with beer yeast, I wanna know how big of a difference will they produce in the beer.
I like my beer to taste malty

I say try it. What is the worst that can happen. Side note: I would hate living in an area where it is illegal to drink. Brewing and drinking are my 2 favorite hobbies...
Oh tell me about it, I hate my government, but we don't care, we drink in our safe zones, and trying it is not an option, hops are very expensive in Iran,I just wanna know if the us 05 is worth it

Baker's yeast gives nice results especially in styles like sahti or other farmhouse styles or weird wheat exbeeriments.

In regular IPAs, not to mention lagers, there is no point in such experiments IMO.

If encouraging you to brew wouldn't be risking your life, I'd say you should look into kveik yeast (suitable for high temperatures) or a style like gruit (ancient hopless style using different kind of herbs).

Last edited:
like how much is a packet of US-05 over there?

You can always harvest the yeast after fermentation and reuse it. You can get like 3-5 batches from that one packet. And each one of those will grow another 3-5 batches after that.

You can make a beer with baking yeast. Technically it will be a beer, however not a usual one. There is a traditional European style of farmhouse beer brewed with baker's yeast (I mean Finnish Sahti). Those Sahtis are rare specialties and they taste unlike a "normal" beer. They are VERY malty, if that's what you like.

You don't need to resort to baker's yeast when you have some US-05. You can multiply your yeast in a starter and store the liquid slurry frozen with an admixture of 15% of Glycerin in the freezer. This way you can span your single sachet over many batches, at least for several dozen.

Yeast multiplication and storage is a thourough business, you need to learn how to do it right, but there's nothing in it you can't do at home. There is alot of info on that subject here on the forum.

Last edited:
like how much is a packet of US-05 over there?

You can always harvest the yeast after fermentation and reuse it. You can get like 3-5 batches from that one packet. And each one of those will grow another 3-5 batches after that.
I will get the yeast, how much should I use for two gallons? And as you and the other friend here suggested, I will harvest the yeast after the fermentation is over
thank you

I will get the yeast, how much should I use for two gallons? And as you and the other friend here suggested, I will harvest the yeast after the fermentation is over
thank you
I use about 5-6 grams (half a 11.5 g packet). I have been milking this one packet for quite a while by harvesting yeast after fermentation or just pitching new wort on the old yeast cake.
Edit: I just squeeze the air out and tape the packet shut, then put it in the fridge for later use.

I will get the yeast, how much should I use for two gallons?
2 Gallons is 7.5 Litres. I brew small batches of 6 Litres, i.e. 1.5 Gallons. My standard dosage for a 1.5 Gallon batch is 2 Grams of dry yeast. Then I reseal the sachet (or better put the rest of the yeast into a sterilized corked vial) and store it till the next use.
2.5 Grams will be enough for 2 Gallons, if the yeast isn't past its expiration date. If it's well past it (like 2 or 3 years past the Best Before Date), then yeah, 5 Grams may be a necessary insurance.
Some dry yeasts may require twice as high pitching rate (Lalbrew Köln, Lalbrew New England, any Bottom-fermenting yeast) but US-05 never failed me at 2 Grams per 6 Litres.

2 Gallons is 7.5 Litres. I brew small batches of 6 Litres, i.e. 1.5 Gallons. My standard dosage for a 1.5 Gallon batch is 2 Grams of dry yeast. Then I reseal the sachet (or better put the rest of the yeast into a sterilized corked vial) and store it till the next use.
2.5 Grams will be enough for 2 Gallons, if the yeast isn't past its expiration date. If it's well past it (like 2 or 3 years past the Best Before Date), then yeah, 5 Grams may be a necessary insurance.
Some dry yeasts may require twice as high pitching rate (Lalbrew Köln, Lalbrew New England, any Bottom-fermenting yeast) but US-05 never failed me at 2 Grams per 6 Litres.
Thanks for the reply. I will stick to the 2 grams per six litres, how much of a teaspoon will that be? I don't own that accurate of a scale

Mika Latinien
what temperature range would give the best outcome? Has anyone experimented with this?
Mika Laitinen, in his book on Sahti (which is probably the only established and locally popular style that utilises baker's yeast) says that traditionally it's been fermented at a "handwarm" temperature but nowadays most of Sahti brewers prefer a bit lower 18C-25C range.

how much of a teaspoon will that be? I don't own that accurate of a scale
Sorry, I can't tell in teaspoons. Yeast and hop weighting, particularly when you brew smaller batches, require pretty accurate measurements. Chinese portable jewel scales accurate to 0.1 Gram are just about $5 worldwide, I'm sure they are sold where you live. It's a useful tool for many things beside brewing, so it's a cheap and wise investment.

Last edited:
The safale is really hard and expensive to get in my country since it's a banned item (drinking and making alcoholic drinks are prohibited here)
Yet I can get it at an unreasonably high price, I can also get my hands on some saf levure (it's a very good French baking yeast) at one third of the price of the us05

I've never brewed with beer yeast, I wanna know how big of a difference will they produce in the beer.
Olá , Aqui no Brasil usamos muito o fermento de pão, seus resultados são imprevisíveis, mas há técnicas de utilização que entregam bons resultados
1° Faça overpicht
2° Faça uma boa oxigenação do mosto
3° Fermente em baixa temperatura (12/15°C)
4° Suba a temperatura perto do fim da fermentação ( + 4 /5°C)
E por fim opte por estilos de cervejas que não tem um perfil neutro ( a escola belga é uma boa escolha)

Hello, Here in Brazil we use bread yeast a lot, its results are unpredictable, but there are techniques for using it that deliver good results

1° Make an overpicht

2° Make a good oxygenation of the wort

3° Carry out the fermentation at low temperature (12 / 15°C) with a minimum of variation
4° Raise the temperature towards the end of fermentation (+ 4 / 5°C)

And finally, opt for beer styles that don't have a neutral profile (the Belgian school is a good choice)

I'll just chime in as a frequent user of us-05 yeast. One 11.5 g packet gets 10 gallons of wort going within 12 hours. One can use less yeast and have good results if conditions right. At your batch size and if pack is expensive, you could get 4 batches out of one packet, no problem.

Also, as others have noted above, one can save yeast for another batch.

That can be taken a step further if one wants to brew continuously. This can be easy or less easy depending on fermentor., After one racks the finished batch, get most of the yeast solids and trub out. leave some yeasty slurry, and add fresh wort as soon as convenient. This works best and yeast slurry last longer if temperature is kept in the recommended range for the yeast, or colder.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I will stick to the 2 grams per six litres, how much of a teaspoon will that be? I don't own that accurate of a scale
I don't have any US-05 on hand, but I just weighed 1/2 teaspoon of Safinstant bread yeast, and it came out to 1.9g on my scale. I assume US-05 would be close. Maybe try 1/2 to 2/3 teaspoon?

fwiw, I consulted with Google OpenAI and their Chatbot insists Saf-Instant Red yeast ferments both maltose and maltotriose as well as the monosaccharides - but only has a 5~7% alcohol tolerance...

Cheers!

I once brewed more than my fermenter could hold, so I fermented this brown ale side my side. One batch with S04 and a left over 1 gallon with bread yeast.
My brewing club preferred the bread yeast!
So yes, it is certainly possible.
As said would not try this with an ipa.
But a malty beer/ale, I would definitely try it.
Or harvested the yeast from your dry beer yeast sachet.

Plenty of people ferment beverages with bread yeast. One thing that sets it apart is its inability to flocculate. Time, maybe some cold temps, can help the yeast settle.

I started brewing back in the early '70s with packets of Fleischmanns bread yeast. To the best of my memory the beers tasted sort of "Belgiany" but were drinkable. The yeast dropped out of suspension quite well and produced some very clear and lively beers after conditioning in the 16oz. Pepsi returnable bottles with cork lined crown caps.

For me, US-05 didn't perform very well with harvest yeast, probably because I don't have fermentation temperature regulation. If it is important for you to get a good beer with minimal requirements and to use every bag of yeast as much as possible, I suggest LallBrew Belle Saison. It produces excellent beer from 17'C to 33'C (tested by myself), and from each batch I would fill two jars of yeast for the next two batches. I used it for up to five generations, and probably can more than that, which means that I got 11 batches from one bag (11 x 20L = 220L of beer). In addition, it works without problems with up to 25% table sugar in grist, so you can save money there, and beer with reused yeast is very similar to lager, due to very low final gravity and yeast overpicht.
Do not use bread yeast because it is not intended for alcohol fermentation. The resulting beer has a very bad smell and taste and cannot be compared to the standard beer we are used to drinking.

Though I brewed with bread yeast decades ago, I agree with everything the Ninoid said. Along with saison yeast, I might recommend something like Omega Lutra dry. It's very temperature tolerant, neutral flavored and I have made some very nice pseudo-lagers and pale ales with it.

The goal is to brew an enjoyable beer, not necessarily a particular style? If you brew a sour beer you don't need any hops at all. I tried it a couple of years ago; the beer was good and I said I'd brew it again but I haven't yet. There is plenty of lactobacteria on the raw grain to get that started.

You can also use the yeast collected from fresh fruit, but bread yeast might be a safer bet. Bread yeast makes beer just fine, it just doesn't clear all that well and will probably have some phenolic off-flavors that are actually desirable in some types of beer.

Just be careful.

Back