PVC vs Silicone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently switched out my beer lines for the anti-bacterial PVC free ones, as I've read some are experiencing some off flavors from PVC beer line. I only have one batch to go by, but it seems my current batch has benefited from the anti-microbial beer line vs the PVC that came with my draft tower.

What about the PVC line on auto-siphons and growler fillers? Would I still get some off flavors from them? I have some spare silicone line that's the same ID as the PVC. Could I use it to see if the taste is affect when racking or filling? The only thing I worry about is my growler filler is also used as a counter pressure filler when bottling from the keg. I bottle at serving pressure (12psi), so I worry about using this tubing for that.

I'm in the process of switching over to silicone for my racking tubing as well. I just picked up a stainless steel racking cane. Now I can completely sanitize my racking equipment. I can put the tubing into my pressure cooker a few times a year and make sure it is sanitized inside and out.

Latest posts

Back