Pumpkin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobk34

Reaction score
Made my 2bd batch of pumpkin beer my og 1.118 it's been three weeks can't get it under 1.022 any suggestions would help

82% attenuation is fairly good, and 12.6% ABV might be pushing the limits of the yeast

questions: what yeast did you use? I used WLP007 in my imperial pumpkin and went from 1.125 to 1.004 in 3 weeks.

did you add any sugar in primary? recipe I had (Great Pumpkin, imperial pumpkin ale recipe from previous issue of Zymurgy) called for maple syrup (+ yeast nutrient) on day 6 & beet sugar (and additional yeast) on day 6 to dry it out

from recipe notes:
add oxygen 24 hours after pitch
add maple syrup and yeast nutrient on day 4
add 1 lb sugar and additional yeast on day 6
add 1 lb sugar on day 8

not sure if it's too late to add your sugars

also needed a HUGE starter and plenty of aeration

the recipe in Zymurgy has an OG of 1.118 and an FG of 1.020, so you're not too far off the mark.

maybe warm it up a bit, see if that helps. I'm not sure if it's too late to add some sugars to dry it out, would need someone more experienced than me to advise you there.

if it were mine, I would call it good. rack to secondary for bulk aging, or bottle it. either way, it ain't going to be ready to drink until next Halloween.

How does sugar dry it out seems like the abv would spike the abv

the way it was explained to me: adding sugar will increase your OG, but it is 100% fermentable, so you are actually adding alcohol with a gravity lower than water, reducing your FG

not getting it to work in online calculators, but if you have Beersmith, create a new recipe and add 1lb of Sugar, Table (Sucrose). look at the bottom right at Est Final Gravity field. if you keep pushing the Increase Amt button and you will see the Est Final Gravity # go down as the amount of sugar increases

in my imperial pumpkin, instead of sugar for the day 6 addition, I used Lyle's Golden Syrup. took a gravity before I added it and it was 1.018. before I added the day 8 sugar, the gravity was 1.018.

final gravity reading going into secondary was 1.004, so that lb of sugar definitely dried it out.

Back